My mother has stage IIA IDC with no lymph node involvement. She has taken two infusions of TC (taxotere cytoxin) already, but has had both a severe allergic reaction to the Tax during both infusions, and then recently a delayed allergic reaction to it (which is extremely rare). After meeting with her onco today, he gave her two options: (1) Stop chemo altogether and move straight on to radiation and hormone therapy or (2) replace the TC with AC (Adriamycin cytoxin) for her remaining two infusions. I should backstep for a moment here and tell you that the reason she is receiving chemo, even though the cancer was not found in her lymph nodes, is because she scored high on the OncoType test, which predicts that her particular cancer has a high likelihood of reoccurance.
My whole family is up in arms about this decision. For one, if she chooses to stop the chemo, the onco said that he doesn't know whether or not the two hits of TC that she has already taken will suffice to kill out any rogue cancer cells that may be elsewhere in her body. However, if she takes another two hits of chemo (even though it will be with a different cocktail of drugs), then it reduces her chances of reoccurance....but it doesn't make it a 100% guarantee that she will be cancer free. But the problem with the AC is that it carries cardiac risks that TC does not have.
Ultimately, my Mom is leaning towards stopping the chemo altogether. She is too worried about her heart and doesn't want to continue suffering the side effects of a drugs that are not even guaranteed to work in the long run. My Dad wants her to consider taking the AC, despite the risks. Me...I don't really know where I stand.
Have any of you ever had a similar experience? What are your thoughts about this? PLEASE HELP!