Breast Cancer Community

Mammogram Anxiety

I had a mammogram on Monday and got a call back on Friday.  I have been asked to come in for additional mammogram and ultrasound on Wednesday.  The report said changes in right breast.  I am so scared.  I am weeks from 45.  I had a 3D mammogram.  I had a 3D mammogram last year so I am sure they could compare.  So, I think they saw changes.  They also said dense breasts.  Could changes in the breast visible on the mammogram be due to perimenopause?  My anxiety is running wild.  How do you manage your anxiety when you have real medical tests ahead?
Hello and welcome to MedHelp's forums.  This is always an anxious time when you get a call back after a test. But remember, they are just requesting a further look to make sure all is well.  Demographically, the odds would be against your having breast cancer at your age. But it is important to make sure and that is what they are doing. This is good medical practice.  Many times they do additional imaging and let patients know all is well and other times they catch cancer at an easier stage to treat.  Changes generally means they see something that warrants further evaluation. They are very common and most often do not mean cancer. That is directly from the American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.gov/types/breast/breast-changes.

Dense breasts are something many women also have and this usually increases with age.  This does pose a difficulties in mammogram imaging for getting a clear view and does put a woman at a higher risk of cancer.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/mammogram/in-depth/dense-breast-tissue/art-20123968.

Finally, yes, hormonal changes can create changes in our breasts.  When is your follow up imaging?

It helps to stay busy and not catastrophize your thinking.  Schedule as soon as possible to get it over with and have a friend or loved one go with you.  Please let us know how it goes.  
My follow up is Wednesday at 10AM.  I feel very uneasy.  Thank you for your comments.
You are very welcome.  We do know it is nerve racking but can tell you that in most cases, it is a double check for the good of the patient that does not turn out to be cancer.  Don't forget to breath.  Take deep soothing breaths, up through the diaphragm.  Breath in slowly and hold and breath out slowly.  This is calming.  And if you have some things to do to keep busy, that helps.  Wednesday is almost here.  Please let us know how it goes.  
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.