lasting effects of chemo

I had breast cancer 5yrs ago.I underwent chemotherapy, and I still have days when I still have bone pain, and most of the time I feel fatigued. Sometimes, when I do have some energy, and I get busy, about the third day, I feel really bad, fatigued, and achy all over. I still have tingling in my fingers and toes also.  Would like to know if other women have any of these lasting symptoms? Sometimes, I still have trouble with short-term memory too.
My oncologist told me early on, like the first or second visit with him, that I will never be/feel the same again as I had before this diagnosis with bc. Kat
I, too, had breast cancer 5.5 years ago - stage 3.  Lymph nodes were involved. I had surgery, chemo, radiation and now am on Femara.  I feel exactly as you do.  The doctor told me, for one thing, that I have chemo-brain.  It's a slight dementia, but I'm fully functional.  Just can't follow written directions, am forgetful, and recipes are my downfall.  Following directions is very difficult for me.  He said sometimes that never goes away.  So I'm okay with it...at least I'm alive.  I have alot of fatigue and about 1/2 the energy and stamina I had prior to my diagnosis.  Many joint pains and aches in general.  Also, dr. says that chemo sometimes takes you to the brink of death and then back again...so don't expect to feel as I did before.  I understand that....and once again, I'm grateful to be alive.  Let's just rejoice in still being here to talk about it!  Nancy

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Community

A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
Breast cancer is not an inevitability. From what you eat and drink to how much you exercise, learn what you can do to slash your risk.
The first signs of HIV may feel like the flu, with aches and a fever.
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.