BF-ing post C-Section

I am scheduled for a planned c-section on Friday and wondering if any other c-section moms have any advice to help me get started? I've read that it can be more challenging to BF after a c-section... Thanks for any tips and suggestion in advance!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I found the football hold with baby on a pillow at my side the most comfortable way to nurse after my c sect.
Helpful - 0
tell the doctors at the hospital that you want to breastfeed!!!

With my second, my OB knew and respected my wishes to breastfeed. He had them keep the newborn in the OR with us while he closed. She was then placed on the gurney with me and wheeled with me into recovery where she was immediately put to the breast. Boy did she scream while they were closing. The assisting surgeon even made comments about it, but I am so grateful that my OB respected my wishes. They say that the baby should be put the breast as soon as possible, and preferably before being bathed.

My first was an emergency c-sec and she was 4 weeks early and only 4 lbs 13 oz. So with her it is understandable that they took her to monitor her immediately.
Helpful - 0
thanks for the input, gals!

my hospital is quite pro BF so hoping that they will not only be open to it but will actually even have some tips/insight too! I'll definitely make sure they know I want to BF and hopefully I can keep the little guy in with me and get him to nurse right away before they haul him off to the nursery for a clean-up.

I'm going to query the hospital staff on all the possibilities and will also make sure my doc knows what I want too.

Fingers crossed! I am so hoping that he's able to nurse easily. I've sort of had this fear that it will be challenging. He's certainly going to be big enough (I had heard that sometime smaller babies have problems... although who knows, that's probably another myth!)
Helpful - 0
Both tiredbuthappy and mumtobeagain have really awesome suggestions!

Immediate skin to skin is possible (and a perfect start for essential hormone exchange and proper latch)  and the football hold helps many women durning recovery!  :)

I love these women!
Helpful - 0
Since you will be in recovery for a while it would be good to have baby there (while your waiting to get the feeling back properly in your legs). Also, once you're in your room try to keep the family away so if there are any nursing difficulties you can have the peace and privacy of getting acquainted without an audience.
Helpful - 0
I had my baby by c section this morning. As soon as we were in recovery I had her skin to skin nursing with pillows by my side proping her up. So cute she just threw her little leg over me, snuggled in and nursed to her hearts content.
Helpful - 0
So wonderful!  
Helpful - 0
Wonderful news!!! Congratulations sister!
Helpful - 0
My experience has been a little more frustrating, unfortunately. My little guy will suckle but doesn't seem to be latching well enough for nutritive sucking. We're both getting quite frustrated (he was born 4/13). I'm off the lactation center to see if the gals there can help us out ... they were super helpful while I was recovering in the hospital but it still doesn't seem to have clicked for us. sooo frustrating! And then when I think things are improving and I build a little confidence we went to his pediatric appt and he'd lost half an ounce! which of course just made me completely lose any confidence I had gained!!!

cross your fingers for us, say a prayer or do some kind of milk dance please!!! we need all the help we can get bc I am at my wits end!!! :(
Helpful - 0
Yes, I had problems with my second son, he wasn't back to his birth weight until 3 weeks old, we needed lots of help from the lactation consultants and he was almost six weeks old before it finally became easy to nurse him. Hang in there and keep asking for help. Good luck.
Helpful - 0
thank god you said that. i saw my LC yesterday and it was uber-helpful but then was completely overwhelmed again last night when on my own! we're having such a tough time and i just really want to believe that if we persevere it will eventually pay off but sometimes in my weaker moments it feels so futile!!! One of my LCs at the hospital said it takes many moms/babies two weeks before things click and one of the docs at his pediatrician's office told me it can take some moms/babies longer than that even so not to fret if we get to two weeks and it's still not 100% clicking.

I've got a post-partum doula starting today so hopefully she will also be some help in at least keeping my cool until we do it get down!

thanks for the input and encouragement!
Helpful - 0
And even this time, I am much mire clued up about what to do and my baby is latching great but the nipple on my left breast is bigger and a bit harder for her to latch on to so I am a bit sore on that side, I tend to nurse onthat side when she is sleepy and not feeding so vigorously. I know once she is a bit bigger and can latch deeper on that side it will get better. The Doula is a great idea, I love mine and she definately is the reason I kept at it when nursing my last son even when things were difficult. Without her I am sure I would have given up.
Helpful - 0
Hi, keep trying.  Things will get better.  My baby is 4 weeks old now and it is only the last week that my milk supply has really seemed good (after taking meds to increase supply)..... and breast feeding is getting easier and more natural....
Helpful - 0
It took me five weeks to figure it out :) but now my daughter is 15 months old and a totally boobie addict ;) still nurses great
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community