Back to work and BreastFeeding

Im a new mom and 1st time BF'er. My daughter is 8 weeks old. I started back to work yesterday
Im just curious how I can keep my supply up. Yesterady I pumped every 2-3 hrs at work and as soon as I was off work
I nursed her all night every 2 hrs til 10pm, when she went to bed and then it was on her sched which was about every 3 hrs or so. Before starting back to work I woul nurse her then wait a hour and pump then she would be ready to nurse again a hour or so later.
Am I doing the right thing in pumping every 2-3 hrs? Should I pump every hour instead?
I am taking the fenugreek and drinking lots of water.
I do work at home so my plan as long as she allows was to put her to breast on my breaks and lunches as well.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
L3 means that it is moderately safe... The risk of untoward effects to a breastfed infant is possible (minimal non-threatening adverse effects)

Just make observations and weigh out your options as mentioned above by mikaleen. :)

And drinking water is healthy as tiredbuthappy mentioned. If you're never thirsty, then you could bump it up as she said. I drink the minimum of what's recommended for health purposes. When I hear "lots of water", I think of moms drinking gallons and worry about H2O intoxication. 6-8 glasses isn't "lots" lol

Hope this helps. :)
Helpful - 0
I always made sure I drank a glass before a nursing/pumping session and one immediately following along with the normal 6-8 glasses I drank daily.
It's said that by the time we feel thirst we are already slightly dehydrated, so it is good to drink before you feel thirsty whether breastfeeding or not.

I tried the fenugreek with my first and she refused my milk.  I don't remember what the risks were, but I remember questioning whether it was worth it for me to try it at all.
Helpful - 0
I would drink more than that. 6-8 glasses is what is recommended for the average person. Considering you are producing 20-30 ounces of milk a day, I would assume you need at least that much more water daily. that would be an extra 3-4 glasses of water on top of the norm.
Helpful - 0
What does laction risk category mean and its a L3?
How much water should I be drinking? Because honestly. Im never thirsty(even before), so I make sure I drink the 6-8 glasses a day now.
Helpful - 0
sounds good so far =) If you start to experience supply problems, you can then play around with the schedule to see what works best for you.
Helpful - 0
You sound like you are doing a good job.
Try hand expressing too (this triggers both hormones needed to maintain milk supply & to boost it)

Fenugreek's lactation risk category is an L3, if you take it, beware of risks.
You don't need lots of water, just drink to thirst, eat to hunger. :)

It's great that you are able to work from home! :) That's dreamy! You go sister!
Helpful - 0
Sounds like you are doing things right to me.  Best of luck to you.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community