Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
1396867 tn?1520810258

Back to work and BreastFeeding

Im a new mom and 1st time BF'er. My daughter is 8 weeks old. I started back to work yesterday
Im just curious how I can keep my supply up. Yesterady I pumped every 2-3 hrs at work and as soon as I was off work
I nursed her all night every 2 hrs til 10pm, when she went to bed and then it was on her sched which was about every 3 hrs or so. Before starting back to work I woul nurse her then wait a hour and pump then she would be ready to nurse again a hour or so later.
Am I doing the right thing in pumping every 2-3 hrs? Should I pump every hour instead?
I am taking the fenugreek and drinking lots of water.
I do work at home so my plan as long as she allows was to put her to breast on my breaks and lunches as well.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
179530 tn?1368936603
L3 means that it is moderately safe... The risk of untoward effects to a breastfed infant is possible (minimal non-threatening adverse effects)

Just make observations and weigh out your options as mentioned above by mikaleen. :)

And drinking water is healthy as tiredbuthappy mentioned. If you're never thirsty, then you could bump it up as she said. I drink the minimum of what's recommended for health purposes. When I hear "lots of water", I think of moms drinking gallons and worry about H2O intoxication. 6-8 glasses isn't "lots" lol

Hope this helps. :)
Helpful - 0
640548 tn?1340553355
I always made sure I drank a glass before a nursing/pumping session and one immediately following along with the normal 6-8 glasses I drank daily.
It's said that by the time we feel thirst we are already slightly dehydrated, so it is good to drink before you feel thirsty whether breastfeeding or not.

I tried the fenugreek with my first and she refused my milk.  I don't remember what the risks were, but I remember questioning whether it was worth it for me to try it at all.
Helpful - 0
171768 tn?1324230099
I would drink more than that. 6-8 glasses is what is recommended for the average person. Considering you are producing 20-30 ounces of milk a day, I would assume you need at least that much more water daily. that would be an extra 3-4 glasses of water on top of the norm.
Helpful - 0
1396867 tn?1520810258
What does laction risk category mean and its a L3?
How much water should I be drinking? Because honestly. Im never thirsty(even before), so I make sure I drink the 6-8 glasses a day now.
Helpful - 0
171768 tn?1324230099
sounds good so far =) If you start to experience supply problems, you can then play around with the schedule to see what works best for you.
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
You sound like you are doing a good job.
Try hand expressing too (this triggers both hormones needed to maintain milk supply & to boost it)

Fenugreek's lactation risk category is an L3, if you take it, beware of risks.
You don't need lots of water, just drink to thirst, eat to hunger. :)

It's great that you are able to work from home! :) That's dreamy! You go sister!
Helpful - 0
1346146 tn?1299360497
Sounds like you are doing things right to me.  Best of luck to you.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.