Breastfeeding

Any advice on what to do or what to take to help my milk supply? My daughter is barely 9 weeks and I suddenly started to produce less and less milk. I literally cried because I don't want to stop breastfeeding. It's the only thing that makes me happy.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello Miriam ,
I understand your concern . Try not to stress or get too worked up about it , though . That is actually one of the worst things a mother could do . It puts a hindrance on your milk supply . Oftentimes breastfeeding mothers tend to worry about the amount of intake their child is receiving . One thing that I can assure you , if your child is wetting at least 6-8 times a day and don't be alarmed if your baby doesn't poop everyday .

Your milk supply sort of adapts to a schedule . That way your breasts aren't producing milk that isn't going to get used and they don't leak . So , one thing that I could recommend is to attempt getting on a schedule . of course your child is going to need to be fed on demand . Though , sometimes it can be done . The more you nurse your child , sends a message , that you need more milk . (Again , apart of the schedule thing) . Approximately 15 minutes should be enough time for your child to get what he/she needs . As long as your child seems satisfied , is your reassurance .

Another way to help your milk supply increase is by taking Fenugreek . It is around $5 at Walmart , in the herbal isle . Read the directions . It should help your milk supply increase in a matter of a week .

Also , may I strongly recommend that you see a lactation specialist . They are free of service and are available through your local health department . If you talk to a doctor . Sometimes , they might suggest a lactation specialist , or you can request one . They are also most likely affiliated with the office and can be at your service for free .

Remember , not to stress . It truly does affect your milk supply . & Enjoy nursing . It is a wonderful bonding experience between you and your child . Cherish every moment . I promise , you will wish for these days back . ((I actully got jealous of the bottle , I hated having to switch)) Congratulations !! & Good luck !!!
Helpful - 0
The amount of diapers can help distinguish if your child is getting enough milk . ***
Drink lots and lots of water. When I do that, I literally can pump 8 or 9 oz easily. You also definitely want to try to get on a schedule. Fenugreek helps a lot, it says to take once a day, but I recommend at first to take 2 pills 3 times a day and you can lower it as needed after that. Also, did you start anything new or switch anything around recently? Because that can cause the milk production to slow. Good luck mama!
Helpful - 0
Thank you two so much! I'm already seeing results with Fenugreek! I am so happy to know that I can and will be able to continue breastfeeding! (:
Helpful - 0
Stay positive!  Looks like you've gotten some good advice and are having some luck! That's great! For me staying hydrated was huge!  Best of luck!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community