Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Cluster Feeding!!!!

My 11 day old has been cluster feeding all day today and its driving me crazy. She's breastfed and ny nipples are so sore and burning from her eating every 30 mins to an hour. Im a ftm and all for breastfeeding but im so tired and sore. I'd feel bad if I switched to formula but it just sounds so much easier for both us and my husband. Have you ladies ever dealt with this?
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Don't give up, things get easier! Heat up some tea bags and put them on your nipples, it will help soothe them. Breastfeeding is such a great bonding experience and gets easier with time.
Helpful - 0
973741 tn?1342342773
I found that I worked very hard to keep baby up at every feeding rather than letting them drift off to sleep help. Undress her to eat, tickle her feet, blow in her face, keep her up.

But also, when my baby fed a lot during the day, I often got a better gap of sleep out of them at night.  good luck
Helpful - 0
Dont give up .. i wanted to quit but it really does get better. I am a ftm with a 1 month old. And its hard when they cluster feed. What really helped me was to buy nipple cream and a nipple guard !! The nipple guard is a life saver, they should just give those out to all the ladies at he hospital lol
Helpful - 0
9121436 tn?1407979502
She's building up her supply. My son has been eating every hour some times constantly for an hour with 5 minute breaks here or there. It's good to let then eat as much as possible and you will have an awesome supply. Beleive me it's sore but it should only be sore when they first latch. If it is sore during the whole feeding it's an incorrect latch.
Helpful - 0
7552771 tn?1469929649
Don't give up it goes away. Shes probably having a growth spurt
Helpful - 0
On top of that I have plugged ducts on one of my breast and it hurts to breastfeed her from that. Im bad all over huh? Lol. But I tried tea bags. The cool ones feel amazing on my plugged breast.
Helpful - 0
287071 tn?1365192513
YES!  I kept lanolin on hand and also had some gel nursing pads (that weren't absorbent but felt AMAZING b/c they were chilled).  It gets better!
Helpful - 0
287071 tn?1365192513
Massage the clogged duct when the baby is feeding - or when pumping - try and apply pressure to that spot.  Hurts like the dickens but helps get things a flowin again.
Helpful - 0
I've decided to stop breastfeeding actually. I'm too miserable doing it and it's not fair to her:( but I still have that plugged duct! Well it Fuji away once I stop producing milk?
Helpful - 0
287071 tn?1365192513
It might take a while…  You might want to pump to help your body taper down and adjust to slowing down and stopping milk production.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.