Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
1105450 tn?1375683721

DS 8 mnths need more milk supply

My son is gong to 8 months on the 7th. I have been ebf  him all the way til he was about 5 months when he hit a growing spurt and seemed like the boob was not enough so I talk with a llc and they said he would be ready for food so we started food and than he would bf in between feeding and I would give him water in between to avoid formula. That only lasted a month. so I had to start supplementing with formula (gerber sooth) But now that he is 8 months he likes the boob but doesnt seem to get enough and as fast as the bottle would give him. He nurses morning and night on both sides with no  problem but during the day its a fight. I try to pump and I dont get but may  1/2 oz everytime. Its so digrating that I cant seem to produce enough. I have tried fenugreek, mama milk cookies  and it doesnt seem like I can get my supply up. What are some other way that I can increase my supply. I really want to get away from formula and make it to the year mark. My original goal was to get to 3 months than it was 6 but I have come this far andI am still producing and I DONT want to give up. I absolutely love bf my lo and the huff and puff people get about me bf this long the more I want to do it. Its the best bonding I have ever. I never thought I would be one of those mothers who bf there lol til there are like 4 but at this point I dont care.... Any suggestions?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
757137 tn?1347196453
I am living proof that it increases milk production. And all the old ladies downing Guinness Stout could not rely on formula to supplement since there were no formulas, so they must have been on to something that worked.
Helpful - 0
4484425 tn?1384228334
I wouldn't drink beer to try to increase milk production. Like stated by Ladyj if you drink a beer you have to wait two hours per beer before nursing. Also there are mixed feelings on if it really helps and its either The LLL or Mayo Clinic (can't remember which) but they advise against it because they say alcohol actually decreases milk production.
Helpful - 0
You drinking beer and breastfeeding. Don't you need to avoid feeding for two hours.
Helpful - 0
757137 tn?1347196453
My grandmother used Guinness Stout. I don't like stout so I drank about 12 ounces of beer a day. Worked like a charm. Oddly enough I don't like beer, but while breastfeeding I didn't mind it.
Helpful - 0
4484425 tn?1384228334
Its all about supply and demand. The more you nurse the more you'll make. I would nurse him and then after pump for 10-20 minutes each side, even if you aren't getting anything it is signaling your body to make more. When you do pump don't let the amount discourage you. Pumps don't do nearly as well as baby. When you tried fenugreek maybe you weren't taking enough. To increase milk production you should take two 590-610mg capsules 3 times a day. Also how is your water intake? Staying hydrated is one of the biggest influences on how much milk you'll produce. Hope you find this helpful :)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.