Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
1012334 tn?1283702979

Ways to increase milk supply and support

Ok, so I had been EBF until right after Christmas I got food poisoning and really dehydrated, so I started supplementing with a little bit of formula. Then I had abdominal surgery and could'nt breastfeed for 24 hours and then was very sore for a while. I continued to breastfeed, but also supplement with formula. Well since then I have been trying to get my milk supply back up and it's not happening. I am try to breastfeed more often to up my supply and I always BF before giving her a bottle, but I have 4 kid's 1 in school, 2 in pre-school and non of them have transportation. We only have on vehicle right now, so I also have to drive my husband to and from work and 2 of my children have special needs, so I am running al over! I am still able to get in the same amount of feeding, but I don't really see how  I can fit anymore in.  I want to breastfeed her for a year or atleast 9 month and I am feeling very frustrated with myself  and the situation!    
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
1012334 tn?1283702979
Oh, also I remember (vaguely) that when i had my first baby (7 years ago) that his Dr gave me medicine that helped get my milk supply up, have any of you tried it and did it work for you?
Helpful - 0
1194973 tn?1385503904
I believe there's something called reglan that helps to increase breast milk production. (I imagine that's what you're talking about) I've personally never used it, but I've heard it works good. Have you used anything else, like Fenugreek or Blessed Thistle? Used together they're supposed to work well at increasing supply. You can also try non-alcohol beer, pumping frequently or just letting baby nurse for as long as they want, and avoid supplementing from now own (it drops supply). Baby won't starve and the longer they're on the breast the better. It signals to the body to make more milk. Good luck!
Helpful - 0
1330108 tn?1333677304
I would stop supplimenting and let baby nurse often and as long as they want which will increase your supply. You can also try mothers milk tea, eat oatmeal and ask the OB for a rx of reglan
Helpful - 0
287071 tn?1365192513
This may seem like an imposibility -but try pumping after you feed the baby. This way your body will think there is a great demand and thus make more.  For me I've always found staying hydrated makes a difference. I've heard others talk about eating oatmeal and drinking Mother's Milk tea.  I have not personally tried either of those two - good luck!
Helpful - 0
615752 tn?1361867986
I agree - continue nursing as much as you can. Your brain will receive signals to produce more milk. Definately drink alot, everytime you breastfed, drink a glass of water - that's what my midwife (who is a lactation consultant as well) advised me. I drank malt-based drinks (ovaltine, non-alcoholic malt beer), lactation tea, or fennel and anise tea. Good luck!
Helpful - 0
1278093 tn?1294320384
you need to slowly decrease the amount you are supplementing.
definitely pump after you feed, especially early in the morning which is when most women find their supply is the highest. then you will have BM to bottle feed instead of formula in addition to helping to stimulate your supply.
fenugreek helps many, as does eating oatmeal every day.
the less you supplement with formula, the more milk your body will make.
good luck, and hang in their momma!
Helpful - 0
How are you doing momma? You got some great advice here! Are things improving?

Hang in there! You can and will get your milk back! It's just going to takesome work.
Helpful - 0
1012334 tn?1283702979
We are doing a little better! I have decreased how much I am supplementing, and  I think I may already have some mothers milk tea that I havn't used yet, I will have to check. i do have a pump (that i don't use much), but can start pumping after a feeding. I had never even heard of the oatmeal thing, but will give it a try! Thanks for all your advice and support I will keep you posted after the weekend!
Helpful - 0
Great! I look forward to hearing your update. Enjoy your weekend.
Helpful - 0
757137 tn?1347196453
To increase breast milk our grandmothers drank Guinness Stout. I couldn't stand the stout so I drank a couple of bottles of beer a day. Worked like a charm. The crazy thing is that I don't like beer and also don't tolerate alcohol well. But when I drank it for that purpose I didn't mind it and I never got tipsy. Once I weaned the baby and stopped drinking beer, I found I once again didn't like it.

There are no side effects to beer. I don't know what the meds would do, but prefer something more natural that has no side effects.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.