When to stop bf

I'm still bf my  almost14 month old twice a day. I'm wondering when most ppl stop the morning feed? And how will I know when he's ready to stop bf altogether?

Thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

there is no hard and fast rule for when to stop breastfeeding. Breastfeeding up to 2 years is recommended by WHO.

By this point it's a matter of when you and your son want to stop.  He may well stop by himself.

My daughter stopped about a month ago, at 2 years and 9 months.  Not because she wanted to, but because my milk dried up (I was 4 months pregnant at that time).  My sisters all breastfed 2 - 2 1/2 years, and mostly let their children stop gradually.

Helpful - 0
My daughter is 14.5 months old and still breastfeeds all day and night. I don't see her stopping anytime soon.

Were TTC so she might not have choice if I dry up when I become pregnant if not I plan on continuing to feed her till she is 2 or older. I'm letting her decide when to stop.

I believe it's a personal choice when you want to stop breastfeeding.
Helpful - 0
I agree that it is a personal choice to stop, but usually the child will let you know when they're okay with stopping. I am running out of supply and my daughter is 10.5 months old. We're weaning prior to when I wanted to stop. But I am happy to have made it this far.

I am mainly having issues with my DD taking bottles of anything other than mommy milk and I just dont have enough.
Helpful - 0
the morning feed is actually the most nutricious feed once night feeding has stoped, so if you can keep that one going for as long as you can/want  your 14mnth old will still be reaping the benefits of it :)
Helpful - 0
When I weaned my daughter, I left the morning feed as the last feed. I feel pregnant so I stopped breastfeeding her (she was 23 months old and I wanted to stop anyway). I thought she would throw big tantrums due to not breastfeeding but I weaned her within a fortnight and I did underestimate her, she did really well! Though I didn't have any signs that she wanted to wean.
Helpful - 0
When to stop breastfeeding?

15 years old.
Helpful - 0
Just kidding. :)

Whenever you or the baby are uncomfortable.

The WHO recommends at least 2 years. (some in U.S. are uncomfortable before that point... Hints AAP recommendations of at least 1 year. I think they were more comfortable saying that rather than 2, despite the benefits)
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much!

I think he might wean himself he bit me really hard tonight - so much so i cried in pain. I think I scared him :( cause he then refused to re attach... Cried hysterically at each attempt. Put his arms out for daddy etc he's normally a v happy, easy baby but 1 yr molars are making him miserable! Poor love has cried for 2 hrs the last 2 nights at bed time. After 40 mins of tears tonight I gave him a bottle of cows milk and then 30 mins patting and he's asleep.
Do you think I'll loose supply from one off night? Hopefully he'll tale his morning feed?
Helpful - 0
I should say we also all had bad gastro a week ago so maybe my supply is already down?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community