Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

When to stop bf

Hi

I'm still bf my  almost14 month old twice a day. I'm wondering when most ppl stop the morning feed? And how will I know when he's ready to stop bf altogether?

Thanks!
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
231441 tn?1333892766
Hi,

there is no hard and fast rule for when to stop breastfeeding. Breastfeeding up to 2 years is recommended by WHO.

By this point it's a matter of when you and your son want to stop.  He may well stop by himself.

My daughter stopped about a month ago, at 2 years and 9 months.  Not because she wanted to, but because my milk dried up (I was 4 months pregnant at that time).  My sisters all breastfed 2 - 2 1/2 years, and mostly let their children stop gradually.

Helpful - 0
492921 tn?1321289896
My daughter is 14.5 months old and still breastfeeds all day and night. I don't see her stopping anytime soon.

Were TTC so she might not have choice if I dry up when I become pregnant if not I plan on continuing to feed her till she is 2 or older. I'm letting her decide when to stop.

I believe it's a personal choice when you want to stop breastfeeding.
Helpful - 0
I agree that it is a personal choice to stop, but usually the child will let you know when they're okay with stopping. I am running out of supply and my daughter is 10.5 months old. We're weaning prior to when I wanted to stop. But I am happy to have made it this far.

I am mainly having issues with my DD taking bottles of anything other than mommy milk and I just dont have enough.
Helpful - 0
1806883 tn?1458321004
the morning feed is actually the most nutricious feed once night feeding has stoped, so if you can keep that one going for as long as you can/want  your 14mnth old will still be reaping the benefits of it :)
Helpful - 0
615752 tn?1361867986
When I weaned my daughter, I left the morning feed as the last feed. I feel pregnant so I stopped breastfeeding her (she was 23 months old and I wanted to stop anyway). I thought she would throw big tantrums due to not breastfeeding but I weaned her within a fortnight and I did underestimate her, she did really well! Though I didn't have any signs that she wanted to wean.
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
When to stop breastfeeding?

15 years old.
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
Just kidding. :)

Whenever you or the baby are uncomfortable.

The WHO recommends at least 2 years. (some in U.S. are uncomfortable before that point... Hints AAP recommendations of at least 1 year. I think they were more comfortable saying that rather than 2, despite the benefits)
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much!

I think he might wean himself he bit me really hard tonight - so much so i cried in pain. I think I scared him :( cause he then refused to re attach... Cried hysterically at each attempt. Put his arms out for daddy etc he's normally a v happy, easy baby but 1 yr molars are making him miserable! Poor love has cried for 2 hrs the last 2 nights at bed time. After 40 mins of tears tonight I gave him a bottle of cows milk and then 30 mins patting and he's asleep.
Do you think I'll loose supply from one off night? Hopefully he'll tale his morning feed?
Helpful - 0
I should say we also all had bad gastro a week ago so maybe my supply is already down?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.