Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

feeding my 1 week old question

Hey ladies I have my baby boy here he's bout one week and a day old. Now latley I been breast feedin him yet every time I do he jus ends up fallin asleep so I try to keep him up if possible if not I wsit til he's completly k.o. then I lay him in his bassinrt and moments later he wakes up and looks for boobie.  Wat do this mean? My prima told me that he isnt full enough so jus give him formula at nite and breast feed durin the day.. wat do u girls think?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
428506 tn?1296557399
I've had the problem of baby falling asleep while feeding, both ad breast and bottle fed.  So you wouldn't necessarily escape it by switching to bottke.

I often do a mid-feeding diaper change.  That really wakes her back up!
Helpful - 0
287071 tn?1365192513
My kids often fell asleep nursing.  My first would wake when we transitioned him to the crib - it was awful.  I never gave my kids formula - just was a choice I didn't want to make. If I was making the commitment to breastfeed - i was committed and sticking with it 100% - so no bottles of formula at bed time or another time (something I am kinda proud of too).  But - that being said - that was the choice I made.  You need to do what works for you.

There are several things you could do to stimulate your baby while nursing if they become sleepy.  Tickle feet, take off layers of clothes so they're not so warm. Talk to them...
Helpful - 0
No way dont give up that quickly! My son did the same at first but I just undressed his legs when I fed him that way you can tickle his legs and he wont be (as) warm and cosy as so less lightly to fall asleep! Also you can lightly blow on the neck or hair to rouse him is he gets sleepy!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.