Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

foul smell

Hopefully someone can answer this. I had my baby Friday and im nursing. Im noticing a very strange smell when he eats. Ive nursed 2 other babies previous and never noticed this b4. Is it possible my milks bad?? I dont understand. It looks normal and ive got a great supply. Im drinking tons of water and not eating foul smelling foods like onions or things like that. I remember what foods upset my last 2 so im staying away. Anyone else experiencing this?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
179530 tn?1368936603
How is your baby acting towards the taste/smell?

Have your frozen any of your milk yet? Some moms have reported a foul smell once their milk has been thawed. I wonder if that will happen to you too. (I know right now you're reporting a smell while baby eats, I will look into that and see if I can find out more) but no, it's not going to mean you have "bad" milk. There's no such thing unless the baby has galactocemia or mother has HIV or doing illegal drugs... Those would be reasons the milk is bad for baby. Yours is perfect, but I will try to get to the bottom of this for you so that you might understand why your milk is so different this time. (as everyones milk varies in taste, smell, and color)
Helpful - 0
1528695 tn?1360582320
could it be YOU? Has anyone else noticed the smell? I remember when I gave birth I thought the milk smelled bad but to everyone else it was fine. I guess it was the hormone change in my body affecting my nose!
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
True... Our hormones can affect our sense of smell. I'm still looking into it too. I haven't found anything in my library yet accept that milk varies. We all know this! I can't find anything credible specifically about smell besides thawed milk (which would need to be "zapped" w/ heat before freezing)
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
I found a little more on this. I hope this helps.

The foul smell could be due to  high levels of an enzyme called lipase.

Scald the milk right after pumping to halt the breakdown of fats by lipase. When you scald milk, you bring it to the state just before boiling.You want to do this on the stove top, not the microwave. Once you have scalded the milk, cool, then freeze. If the odor in your milk has been caused by excess lipase, this should do the trick.

Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
*If baby takes the milk, even though it has a "bad" smell, it won't hurt your baby. But if you store it, you may consider scalding or washing parts in sterile water w/ sterilizing quick clean bags since some metals that are present in the tap water can trigger this enzyme. (This is just something else to try before storing so you don't end up w/ a freezer full of wasted BM)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.