preparation

I'm only 6w5d and I definitely plan on breast feeding my little one. Is there anything I can do now to prepare for this, I am taking my vitamins already, but maybe something to make sure I get the maximum amount of breast milk? Any answers and opinions are welcome.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Very good mama! It's very good to hear that you're already making plans for breastfeeding. Thankfully, we don't recommend any preparation accept for education. (ex. NO prenatal nipple stimulation, "toughening up" nipples) but there are things you can do. Start looking for a pump or learn hand expression incase you're ever separated from your baby and learn how to properly latch, boost supply... (take a class)

And if you have any questions, we are always more than happy to help! :) Congratulations and good luck sister.
Helpful - 0
Thank you, I know breast is best and I want what's best for my little one. I believe after you give birth, there will be a lactation consultant to help you get started, or atleast in my area they provide them. And they give you a starter breast pump, which ill upgrade.
What do you mean by hand expressions?
Thank you for your time and answers, very helpful.
Helpful - 0
You can hand express (only after having the baby), by placing your fingers and you thumb around your nipple area, stretching fingers and thumb apart slightly while pressing back towards the rib cage, compressing (fingers and thumb forward in a rolling motion/no rubbing), and releasing the pressure. Repeat*

:) It's much easier to guide you w/ a breast model. LC's carry them everywhere (normally) so you shouldn't have trouble having an LC guide you through this.
Helpful - 0
Congrats!!  I recommend taking a breast feeding class or at least attend a le leche league meeting or breastfeed USA meeting prior to delivery. They are all over the USA and free to attend.

You will probably want a few items to make nursing easier: lanolin nipple cream (in case you have sore nipples), my breast friend nursing pillow or boppy
Helpful - 0
Oops hit send too soon.

Also you may want breastpads and nursing bras.

Some women use a nursing cover to nurse descreetly in public.

I wore nursing tank tops often as they can be layered with other clothes and they are a top and bra in one and makes nursing easy :)

The hospital may give you a manual Medela pump which is great for on the go but it takes 2 hands to use and may not be easy to use. I purchased a Medela pump in style advance prior to delivery and I'm so glad I did. My daughter arrived earlier and was in the nicu where I could not nurse her so I had to rely on my breast pump at first. So glad I had it. It's also great for when your milk comes in if you feel too full you can pump a little to relieve that full feeling.

We are all here to cheer you on!
Helpful - 0
Btw, don't buy any nursing bras until after baby arrives.  You can't be sure what your breast size will be once milk comes in.

I use electric pump and manual expression.  

You'll do great!
Helpful - 0
Thank you ladies, all of this has really helped! :)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community