pumping

When a goodtime to start pumping and freezing? I will be needing to put a supply in fast with my lil guy and just don't know how to do it while nursing him..I want him to get enough from me but also put some back right away as well...I will be going bk to school when he is 3 weeks old and I want to have a small supply in for the what its? I can feed him before I leave and when I get home just incase he gets hungry for those 2 hours while I'm gone?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You're welcome. I'm more than happy to share anything I've learned.
Helpful - 0
Thank you! Means a lot I can ask these questions and not getting judged or nasty comments!
Helpful - 0
What usually causes choking is if you have a strong let down. If that's the case you can pump a little until you let down and then nurse baby. Your let down usually happens a few minutes after you start nursing. Baby's s*cking signals your breast to basically release your milk.
Helpful - 0
Ok thanks! I just heard if u over produced then that can gag the baby make them choke? Like I said just lots of questions! But def want more than enough!
Helpful - 0
There is no such thing as over producing :-) It will be good to keep your supply going as much as possible. You dont want your breast to get used to feeding 2oz every feeding. Its better to have more than enough than not enough at all
Helpful - 0
Ok! Will I over produce when I do that? Sorry just asking all the questions that come to mind?
Helpful - 0
Yes pump both sides. Pump the side that he didn't finish first and then after pump the other side.
Helpful - 0
So I should pump both sides even if he would empty the one side?
Helpful - 0
I always nursed first and pumped afterwards. I pumped 20 minutes per breast and as I pumped I dis massaging and compression to get the most milk out. At first you may not get much but the more you do it the more milk you will produced for the pump. Freeze your milk immediately and I would freeze maybe 2 to 3ozs at a time to make sure not gets wasted.
Helpful - 0
Awesome thanks! I thought I would pump after he was done like the remaining and put away like if he would start on the left and finish on the right I pump the right and so on...just want to make sure he gets enough
Helpful - 0
I start pumping when mine are two weeks old. I would nurse until they were full and then pump when they were done or once they were sleeping and I knew they'd be out for a while I'd pump an hour or two after they last ate so I'd get more. At first I wouldn't get much but after doing it for a while I started to produce more. To start I'd freeze 1-2oz in each bag so if he doesn't take it your not wasting a lot.

With my daughter now, she is 11 weeks old and sleeps 8-10 hours at night so I'll put her to bed, pump an hour or two later before I go to bed and then when she wakes in the morning she only nurses one side so I pump the other. I currently have close to 300oz of milk in my freezer.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community