Feline Mast Cell Cancer & Diabetes treatment

My 10 year old female cat was diagnosed with disseminated mast cell tumor cancer.  Considering her poor condition, she has been receiving palliative therapy for the past 3 months (1/4 pepcid in am, and prednisolone-5 mg in am and 2.5 mg in pm).  Recently, she was diagnosed with excessive blood sugar levels in urine and in blood-indicative of diabetes.
As a result, one Vet advised to take her off steroids completely and start insulin therapy. Another vet suggested that it was more important to treat the mast cell condition over the diabetes since these doses are suppressing the effects of the cancer.  She did have an analphylactic reaction before due to massive histamine release unexpectedly and I would like to try to avoid this as best as possible. At this point,the goal of treatment is to keep the pet as pain free and comfortable as possible.  The cat is in a fragile condition, but has a good appetite and is not vomiting.  I do not want to cause her more stress by more vet visits and tests.  What is your best recommendation regarding this situation ?

This discussion is related to Rapid spread of mast cell tumors.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

You are reading content posted in the Cancer in Pets Community

Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.