Mast Cell Tumor

My recently deceased service dog had an inoperable mast cell tumor between the ulna and radius bones in his right front leg.  It was discoved after he began limping without resolution.  

The fine Vets at the Oncology program at Tuft's Foster Hosp. treated him.  At first he was on Palladia but that stopped working.

He had a suspected spleen nodule that was not biopsied.  

Since he was a service dog, I opted not to have his leg amputated.  He lived 8 month past his diagnosis.  He was 7 when I let him go after a Vinblastine treatment caused his tumors - spleen and leg - to release histamine and heparin and he became purple and could not lay down with the pain even though he was on pain med.  

He was not in pain long as I broke all speed limits at nearly midnight on July 15th to do what I knew was the only release for his pain.  He had been seen twice after the Vinblastine on the 10th and I had been told on the 13th that it could be days or weeks.  

The loss of a service dog at such a young age is difficult.  I have heard from many and I established a memorial garden where we used to walk daily for his exercise and enjoyment.  

I think he must have had the cancer for nearly a year before it was discovered.  It was hidden.  Mast Cell tumors may not always be so apparent.  

Just my luck.  I still have yet to hear from the organization that raised, trained and placed him with me on July 19, 2007.  Not every service dog org. is good.  

My first service dog, an assistance dog, also passed from oral cancer.  She was age 13 years 9 mos.  

Does stress cause this cancer?  Lawn chemicals? Sunlight?  I know it is a form of  skin cancer.  

Thank you for contributing to this forum  - you help many people!

This discussion is related to Grade 2 Mast Cell Tumor.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear Irene
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Canine cancer is the leading killer of dogs today. Whether it's a Mast Cell tumor or another form of cancer, the cause still remains unknown.
Certainly genetics, heredity and lifestyle play a role but the exact underlying cause of cancer in pets and people is still not known.
Thank you
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
Helpful - 0
Thank you.  The Veterinarians at Tuft's Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine took care of my service dog very ably!  

I am aware that cancer is an epidemic - I lost two service dogs in 8 years!  

I believe some of it is environmental.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Cancer in Pets Community

Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.