Avatar universal

Lump/bump on my head.

I have a bump/lump on my head.
I've had it for a few years now. It hurts only when I mess with it, which seems to be a lot lately because it's really starting to bug me. It doesn't move, and it's hard but slightly mushy (What a co-worker said when she felt it). It's under my skull, about two maybe three inches away from my hairline. I haven't had any symptoms, besides headaches and light headed-ness. But I was told I had bad anxiety growing up and always had those problems.
But, recently (Because whenever I get bad headaches, I get sick) I have been puking up blood when I do get sick..
I'm not saying that it is cancer, but cancer does run into my family.. On both sides. So, I am really starting to freak out..

Any idea of what it could be? Please give me an idea so I know what I am getting into.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
351246 tn?1379682132
The lump and vomiting with blood may not be interlinked. Smoking, alcohol use, gastritis, acidity, tumors of stomach and food pipe, bleeding gastric ulcer, cancer of stomach, erosion of lining of food pipe, bleeding veins at esophageal (food pipe) sphincters etc all cause vomiting of blood. This can be fresh red if coming from a place above the stomach. It can be brown or coffee colored if coming from the stomach.  Tumors/cancers of the oral cavity or mouth, pyorrhea or pus in gums and Vitamin C deficiency can cause bleeding from mouth, which if ingested can result in vomiting.
A lump on the scalp can be a part of the skull structure. Sometimes the skull bones have an exaggerated curvature or protuberance without any cause. Otherwise it can be an osteoma which is a bone tumor. If you hit your head somewhere long back, then this could be a localized tight hematoma. It can also be a localized collection of nerve and fibrous tissue called neurofibroma or it can be a localized contusion or a lipoma. Rarely the lump is a cancer, but any lump that has a change in texture, size, color etc or which becomes painful all of a sudden should be immediately shown to a doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Helpful - 0
5565856 tn?1370010722
My dd who is 5 has something similar on her head.  It showed up when she was 6 months old. (she was born at 29 weeks) Her Doc said it would go away with puberty, so IDK.  Have you had an u/s done on it?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.