Tamoxifen for Flat Epithelial Atypia?

I'm 52, pre-menopausal.  My open biopsy showed Flat Epithelial Atypia (FEA), and my surgeon is suggesting I see an oncologist for a course of Tamoxifen for 5 years.   He says research shows it decreases the chances of getting cancer by 50% for women with FEA.  Do you agree?  Is FEA hormone receptive?  Should I have genetic testing, as my mother had breast cancer 25 years ago (survived), two great aunts died from it, my grandmother had uterine cancer (survived), and 2 great aunts died from it.  My mom now has bladder cancer, Dad has colon cancer, and had prostate cancer and melanoma.  My brother had testicular cancer (survived).  Whew!

This discussion is related to Chemo or not.
Hi, you asked really good questions I'm curious about this myself.  I'm high risk  for breast cancer and this sounds like something that may be worth looking into. It doesn't hurt to be as informed as possible, I hope you get a response and all goes well.

You are reading content posted in the Cancer Community

Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.