taxotere efficacy

my wife has 3b lung cancer. How long does the drug actually work killing cells? Is that the period of time when she feels the worst?

This discussion is related to taxol vs taxotere.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your wife. As you know stage 3b lung cancer is an advanced stage, not 100% curable, but yes, treatable to some extent. Taxotere is a good drug but its efficacy depends on how advanced is the cancer (size or primary and secondary infiltrations), her liver function, her general condition and her power to tolerate the drug. Usually this is given intravenously every three weeks and the action is immediate with some improvement coming with every cycle. At times radiotherapy is given in combination for better symptom relief. It is very difficult to access how soon the drug will bring appreciable difference. I am sorry, but this is something you need to discuss with her treating doctor. Also, please find out if it will help to register for a clinical trial with newer drugs. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.

You are reading content posted in the Cancer Community

Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.