Other symptoms after CT surgery

I had carpal tunnel release surgery on my right hand in June 2011. The pain and numbness improved immediately and within a short time, all numbness, tingling and associated pain was gone. However, my scar is still sensitive. It's not painful but it is very annoying. Is it normal to still have sensitivity in the scar after nearly eight months.

I also have developed DuPuytrens Contracture in that hand. Could this have been brought on by the surgery? It is still mild and does not pull my fingers down. In addition, I notice mild shooting pain in that hand when I walk and swing the hand. Again, could that be from the surgery?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Sometimes the sensitivity in the scar tissue may persist. The shooting pains in the arms could be due to the median or ulnar nerves. The median nerve is compressed at the wrist in a place called the carpel tunnel. This can cause shooting pain in the arm. The ulnar nerve at the elbow could be causing the radiating pain to the elbow and wrist. Would advise you to consult your primary care physician who may do a neurological assessment and may ask for Nerve conduction Studies to detect lesions in the nerves.

Dupuytren's contracture may not be related to the surgery. But smoking is associated with an increased risk of Dupuytren's contracture, perhaps because of microscopic changes within blood vessels caused by smoking. Alcohol intake also is associated with Dupuytren's. People with diabetes are reported to have an increased risk of Dupuytren's contracture. Controlling these may help prevent progression of the disease.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Helpful - 0
Thank you. I don't smoke, drink very moderately and haven't been diagnosed with diabetes, so I think I can rule out those as causes of the Dupuytren's contracture. Sounds like I need patience for the scar sensitivity to go away. I'll be going back to my hand surgeon in the spring. I appreciate your response.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches