extreme hand pain occuring when asleep

I am a waitress with a career spanning 20years now... About 5years ago I believed I was seeing the beginnings of carpal tunnel. I now believe it has to be something else... I have "episodes" that usually last 1-4months, then I get a break for a month or two. When it is occurring, I find myself waking up after 3 hours of sleep in excruciating pain in both hands, and it jolts me out of bed and all I can do is cry until the pain subsides in 45-60 min. At this point, I am exhausted from the ordeal that I just fall back asleep only to find myself repeating the cycle after 30min! The only way to end the pain is to just get up out of bed and move around... Im terrified of going back to sleep because of the potential pain it brings! So I keep functioning on a collective of about 4hours of sleep a day. Im lost! Does this sound familiar to ANYONE? I feel so alone in this! My poor hubby just site next to me while I cry, because touching any part of my arms just makes the pain escalate! Help!! Thanks for any input you can offer...
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm so sorry u are going through this, but yes this sounds like cts....I too had that problem and I eventually had the surgery ...it has helped so much. I suggest u see a orthopedic surgeon that specializes in sports medicine. Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Tomarra is right seek professional help. A physiatrist or a physical therapist will do. The problem is wrist movement. It can cause aggravation of pain. As a PT, I'd suggest you go seek one and they will probably prescribe you with a wrist support to wear at night plus of course exercises for a cts.

If all else fail, a simple surgery of cutting in half the flexor retinaculum will somehow improve your condition.

Best of luck.
Helpful - 0
I am experiencing the exact same thing, and now the symptoms do not subside during the day/when I'm up.  It's hard to function on 1-2 hours sleep!  I have seen a PT twice but nothing is helping.  Did you end up seeing a specialist?  Any relief??
Helpful - 0
My dr prescribed me neurontin, 300 mg 3X/day. It worked for 2 wks , then the pain was back...WORSE! Doc up'd dose to 600 mg... Now, the pain is slightly better. Going for a nerve test today. Will pass-on any info.
Helpful - 0
I had nerve test today. It consisted of bring shocked and poked with needles, for over an hour. The diagnosis was cps.
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
Hi Fodi! Did you get your CTS issue taken care of? I am fairly new to this site (2 weeks) and I'm trying to check around to see if anyone needs any Orthopedic information. I am the Orthopedic Community Leader. Best wishes! JD1963
Helpful - 0
I am experiencing the same trauma :(
Helpful - 0
Iam going through the exact same  thing but iam 35 +2  weeks pregnet.. I cant take it no more its very painfull and haven't been sleeping at all :(
Helpful - 0
I had episodes of CTS too. It reached a point that it was so bad that I get high fever. And yes, the pain gets worse at night while sleeping. I used hot or cold compress when I feel that the pain is about to start and does finger extending, stretching and flexing of the hand. Elevating the hand when I sleep also helps minimize the pain. Plus I think wearing a hand brace also helped.

I no longer gets attacks now, thank God. No surgery was done. It simply just went away. But I never forget to do my hand/finger exercise and extending.
Helpful - 0
Man, I'm so sorry that you're going through that, careerwaitress!  I used to wake up with pain in my hands sometimes but most of pain was during daytime.  I could see how using your hands so often while waitressing would affect your hands/wrists; wait staff work so hard.

I did that nerve test too - it's so painful!  And when I went to a second opinion, the second doctor said she needed to do the test again, as she didn't want to rely on the other doctor's opinion.  I said, heck no!  

Ne ways - when I had carpal tunnel, I used some braces/molds (including ones molded to my hands/arm).  While it was sometime helpful, it sort of hurt more than anything, as I had no mobility.  One thing to be aware of is to make sure that you don't sleep on your hands, especially when you turn and sleep on your side, or if your husband may turn and lay on your hands accidentally.  I started to sleep on my back and place my hands on top of my stomach/chest or along the side of my body -- and it helped.  I think it's good that you're moving your hands too -- another reason why the braces may not be a good idea.  

There are some good gliding exercises to do that you could find online.  Also, if your hands don't hurt too much, I started to do yoga and that really helped.  I think the fact that I hold my stress/tension in my shoulders really affected my hands (as my shoulder tension would pull the tendons and nerves that are attached to my hand).  Yoga also stretches you out as well and strengthens your wrists.  It took me a while to do yoga because my wrists were in such bad shape.  

I considered getting surgery but then when I was at the hand hospital (I used to live in NYC so they had specialized hospitals), a couple of people who had CT surgery encouraged me not to get it, as they still had some pain in their hands and didn't feel 100%.  They said it was Ok for them because they were retired or near retired but noted how young I was (in my mid to late 20s).  

I found an amazing acupuncturist (William Kaplanidis) and started to use this essential oil he created with a naturopath (Acudragon Five Elements, the green one).  That is like ben gay on crack - it's so good.  I would spread it all over my neck and arms when I feel pain and it makes me feel so good.  Also, massaging your hands/arms before sleeping, getting your husband to massage you, and soaking in a hot bath with epsom salt may be good for your bedtime routine.  I started to do qigong too -- and William has a DVD that I use.  Full disclosure, I also want to a chiropractor (as my condition stemmed from whiplash), an occupational therapist, and a O.D. (who would just give me a really thorough massage, similar to reiki, I think).  Rest helped too - I know that's hard because what you work and earn is what you take home, right?  

I hope this helps! Let me know if you want more advice - would love to hear if you use my suggestions and how it works for you!

Best,
Sera
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches