I CANNOT GET THIS DISEASE UNDER CONTROL

I WAS BORN WITH CELIAC SPRUE DISEASE. I NEVER GAINED WEIGHT GROWING UP, HAVE ALWAYS HAD HEALTH PROBLEMS. THIS DISEASE HAS GOTTEN SO OUT OF CONTROL THAT MY GI DOCTOR HAS LITERALLY BEEN STUMPED. WITHIN THE LAST 2-3 YEARS I HAVE LOST MY APPETITE, AND HAVE TO FORCE MYSELF TO EAT. I DOUBT MY CALORIE INTAKE ON A DAILY BASIS IS 1000 PER DAY. FOR THE PAST THREE MONTHS I HAVE HAD TO USE ENEMAS BECAUSE I CANNOT MOVE MY BOWELS. I HAVE TRIED MEDICATION MY DOCTOR PUT ME ON WITH SEVERE SIDE EFFECTS, I HAVE TRIED JUST ABOUT ALL OVER THE COUNTER LAXATIVES, FIBERS, WITH LITTLE RESULTS. I DRINK ALOT OF WATER EVERYDAY. FOUR WEEKS AGO I WAS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH COPD (NEVER SMOKED A DAY IN MY LIFE) AND ASTHMA, AND NOW MUST TAKE MEDS FOR THEM. I HAVE HEARD THAT FOR SOME PEOPLE WHO HAVE THIS DISEASE, NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO TO TRY AND CONTROL IT, IT CANNOT BE CONTROLLED, AND I AM AFRAID WITH MY MOUNTING HEALTH PROBLEMS, I MAY BE ONE OF THEM. JUST HOW DANGEROUS IS THIS DISEASE, BECAUSE I COULD NOT EVEN BEGIN TO LIST MY OTHER HEALTH PROBLEMS, WHICH INCLUDE TWO OTHER AUTO IMMUNE DISEASES. I SEE MORE DOCTORS ON A MONTHLY BASIS THAN A NORMAL PERSON PROBABLY SEES IN A LIFETIME, AND I AM BEGINNING TO FEEL LIKE THERE IS LITTLE REASON TO KEEP GOING. HAS ANYONE ELSE SUFFERED THIS BADLY OR CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT? WHEN YOU BEGIN STUMPING DOCTORS YOU REALLY HAVE TO ASK YOURSELF IS IT WORTH IT. THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME. ALSO, I HAVE LOST OVER 50 POUNDS AND AM DOWN TO BETWEEN 112-114...
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

Obviously this is a very big problem for you.

I guess the first question is are you following a completely gluten free diet and lifestyle?  This includes cleaning products, personal hygiene products, including in people you live with.  Gluten is hidden in many things.  For those who are really sensitive, even touching a surface that has had gluten products on it may be enough to aggravate things.
Helpful - 0
thanks for writing back.  i try very hard to adhere to a gluten free diet. i eat very little food, only fresh or frozen vegies, fruits, gluten free products. i double wash all my dishes, once in the sink then in the dishwasher. my husband and i use seperate toasters. i try to check all products that i use for personal use to be sure they are gluten free, and also cleaning products. i just cannot believe i have not felt better since diagnosed. good luck to you.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Celiac Disease Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem