Rash + Nickel + Celiac (?) and EnteroLab

I am new to the site.  I would like to post a few items and some follow up to our struggle. My wife contacted a rash November 2013 right around the time she had a bladder infection and taking Cipro. We assumed it was Cipro but rash remained. Dr assumed Scabies and again that's a negative. We did 3 skin biopsies and all negative for IGG, IGA, IGM, C3, C5B-9 and fibrogen.   Next visit was to do a patch test on back and two items came positive: bacitracin and Nickel. Between November 2013 and the Patch test (April 2014) she had very severe rash on chest, arms, back and buttocks area.  Once we realized she was sensitive to Nickel we started to pull back on all things with Nickel. This seemed to lessen outbreaks (dieting) thus mid summer we tested (blood) for celiac.  This came back Negative.  It is now October 2014 and she still has breakouts (less severe but still itchy).  Currently I have ordered the Enterolab Kit for B2 + C2 -Comprehensive Gluten/Antigenic  and a Meat Panel.  So I am posting to maybe get some feedback on anyone with similar history and posting to help others.  More to come!  TC
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
it would be interesting to know the results of the test.
since you indicate a nickel and antibiotic allergy, i suggest avoid all contact from it. nickel is found in alot of metals, any that metallic usually has nickel in it, tell her not to wear any nickel items, look at food or medicine products as well. hives take a while to clear up. her bra might haave metallic parts that metallic parts. did she have more tests ? patch test are less accurate than biopsies and blood tests. its good that she doesnt have celiacs, it
Helpful - 0
i forgot that constant showers, washing, especially with hot showers can aggravate or even cause hives, or allergic-like reactions, tell her doctor to prescribe creams, and use moisturizers.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for information,  yes we have gone thru the complete Nickel off diet process plus all soaps and such has been screened.  This is something else.  Right now I am leaning into a leaky gut syndrome, still waiting for  Entrolab results. I feel bad for her because she still takes those powerful anti itch drugs.  Stay tuned...
Helpful - 0
TC, we've seen this type of thing in the office in some of our patients. I'll be VERY interested to see the results of the gluten issue. Has she taken gluten out of her diet at any point?

Our experience is also that the 'routine' blood tests for gluten issues often come back negative when that's not the case.
Helpful - 0
She was a vegan with heavy use of Soy Milk and some breads and pretty much a healthy eater.  After the kidney infection and use of an antibiotic during a trip to North Florida she came back with red spots and flare ups on arms and chest. Over the next few months December to March she was not off Gluten based on our Doctors were thinking Topical Dermatitis and it wasn't till April did the Nickel test made her pull off anything with Nickel in it thus pretty much pulled her off everything including Gluten ( which was not our focus). For the summer we started focusing on Gluten also even tho a blood test came back negative. So as of right now she is off Gluten and things have slowed down per the whole chest, back but her flare ups on her arms remain and some on back and little on chest. We have a few tests out there with a local autoimmune Rheumatologist( 6 viles of blood) plus I had here send off  a stool to Enterolab.  I will pass on this year long in-depth look to a lot of doctors and negative results other then a Nickel reaction on a patch test.  Thanks for reply and any feedback is appreciated.
Helpful - 0
I will say she has always tested high end on her Bilirubin tests but we are not looking at that at this moment.  Just another piece of the puzzle.
Helpful - 0
Please update on her results, i noticed you indicated she had an infection and was treated with cipro. Did the rashes appear after the infection, during the cipro?
because medicine like these can cause an allergic reaction, furthemore, the infection she had could also trigger a rash as well.
im curious why do you suspect celiacs, her rash needs to be Dermatitis herpitformis, in order to be suspected of celiacs, and DH happens in specific areas. elbows(forearms only), backside, buttocks, knees
Helpful - 0
Yes used Cipro and right around that time it flared. We suspect it now but cant believe it has been a year of issues.  I am also suspecting leaky Gut syndrome thus will be asking for a Leaky Gut Test, Intestinal Permeability test.  We have not received the Entrolab test so that is still pending.  She has received a lot of blood work back and all seems normal, only a high end norm Bilirubin and a low end norm white blood count. If the entrolabs come back normal...I am afraid Cipro my have been the culptrit but I don't know??  Why a year of flairs. Oh she did get a med to test and and help itch (Neurontin) and that made her existing rash flare up!!  Not getting it?
Helpful - 0
My husband has developed a very bad rash and hive problem after taking Cipro for a prostate infection. He took Cipro for 20 days before his doctor linked the rash to the medication as the rash didn't appear until after 14 days after taking it.  

It is definitely due to taking cipro. The rash has not gone away and some days are better than others, He is sensitive to heat and cold and gets hot sweats at night. After reading your post, the future doesn't look good.
It is awful that he has to suffer, as the rash is very itchy and therefore he doesn't sleep well either.

I believe this drug should be further tested as there are a lot of people suffering due to taking it.
I hope your wife finds a cure or a way of relieving the symptoms.
Helpful - 0
Test from Entrolab came back:

Comprehensive Gluten/Antigenic Vegetarian Food Sensitivity Food Panel

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA      34 Units   (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Fecal Anti-Oat IgA      6 Units   (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA      6 Units   (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA      2 Units   (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Mean Value 11 Antigenic Foods      5 Units   (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)
Helpful - 0
It looks like your persistence has paid off, as you had the Anti-gliadin IgA test done and it way past the normal range.  It seems your wife does have Celiac disease after all, and that this test is specific for those who do not produce Ttg antibodies, but do produce them in this test.  With those who have the DH form of Celiac disease, an intestinal biopsy is still recommended by the Celiac Association to determine if the intestines are affected.

I have the same rash as your wife, and I am a Celiac.  The only thing that has helped with this rash so far, is to slather Calamine lotion on it at night, and in the morning the rash is much better, or gone on some days.  During the day, the Calamine lotion is too pink to wear, so I just lightly rinse with cool water and try not to rub it at all _ air drying if not in a hurry.  I hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
If you'd care to make the information a little bit more specific, order the gene cheek swab test from Enterolab. It will tell you whether or not your wife is inclined toward celiac disease (2 alleles) or toward non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity, which could be a mix of a celiac allele and a NCGS allele or two NCGS alleles.

This result could indicate 'just' NCGS and not true celiac disease. But in either case, gluten should be taken completely out of her diet.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Celiac Disease Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem