Thrush

I have just given a blood sample for a celiac test and am awaiting the results. In the meantime, I am wondering if anyone can tell me if oral thrush is a common or at least not atypical symptom of celiac disease?

Thank you very much.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for getting back to us.  Hope all goes well.
Helpful - 0
Thank you. I saw a natureopathic doctor yesterday who ran a blood test for yeast overgrowth and started treating me for Candida with supplements and a strict diet. He also mentioned a gluten restriction diet in the future once the Candida diet has had an opportunity to work. I'm trying to remain hopeful. Thanks, again. Matt
Helpful - 0
Hi, Matt.  To control internal yeast, start a good probiotic like Align.  Restrict sugar and starches, such as with an Adkin's diet.  If you cook from scratch and eat mostly vegetables, lean meat/fish/poultry and a few fruits and complex carbs, you can reduce gluten from your diet as a side effect.  Understand that the first week of a diet like that, while the yeast is dying off, you may feel very draggy.  This will pass and you will feel better.  Plus if you were getting your caffeine through soda, you will be reducing your caffeine.  Consider adding a cup of coffee.  If your symptoms are not gone in a month, you might get stricter on the gluten elimination or try eliminating dairy from your diet.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
You're very kind for getting back to me with your thoughts and tips. I am seeing a naturopathic doctor in two days and plan to explore with him the possibility of candida and perhaps a lesser form of a gluten allergy. My hope is that he will guide me on developing a diet that will bring back some balance to my body. Again, thank you very much!
Helpful - 0
You can definitely give the diet a try...I would give it at least 3 months.   Depending on the symptoms, some people feel improvement in 24 hours and others, several months.  If there is not improvement in the thrush, I myself would probably try an Atkins type diet - but check with your doctor first.  I hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
Thank you. I just found out my celiac blood test came back negative, which is disappointing. I.m not sure what to do now. I guess the logical thing to do would try a gluten-free diet for a month and see how it goes. Would you suspect that a month would be enough time to notice a difference? Thanks, again.
Helpful - 0
Yes it can support an intestinal yeast infection.  When the body doesn't breakdown the proteins, it gives yeast something to feast on and proliferate.  This can also occur with other foods - most carbohydrates, especially sugar, and cow's milk products.  I know when I started the gluten free diet, I felt worse and had diarrhea that smelled like mold.  The diarrhea would last several days and reoccur every now and then with the same odor.
But when the bouts of diarrhea were over, I'd feel much better as if a poison was ejected from my system.  So I guess that was yeast die - off?  And I've read as much.  If your symptoms of dry mouth and chapped lips are caused by deficiencies from the celiac disease, then you can expect those things to dissipate on the diet as your intestines heal and start absorbing all the nutrition from your food again.  I hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much! Can celiac also include or support internal yeast infection such as candida? If so, will a gluten free diet help clear up the infection? I feel very run down, have dry mouth, and chronic chapped lips as well as several primary gluten allergy symptoms. I appreciate your input!
Helpful - 0
It is not atypical.   It definitely can occur with celiac disease.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Celiac Disease Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem