Late diagnosis?

Given that the only cause for spastic diplegia other than CP is hereditary spastic diplegia, I would desperately like to accept my fifteen-year-old son's doctor's diagnosis of CP as a cause for the problems that have developed in his feet and ankles over the past couple of years.

I can't seem to find anyone who's been told anything remotely similar to what his Neurologist is telling us, however - i.e. that my son's CP is so incredibly mild, it wasn't causing him any problems until a sudden adolescent growth spurt resulted in his bones outgrowing his muscles' capacity to stretch.

My son walked perfectly normally up until a couple of years ago when we noticed that he preferred to walk on his toes rather than on the whole of his foot.  Up until a few months ago, he was able to get his heels to the floor when reminded to do so.  By now, he isn't able to get his left heel to the floor and there's evidence of an increasing level of spasticity in both of his calf muscles.

I want to believe what the doctor is saying, and I could use hearing from somebody - anybody! - who's noticed a connection between growing taller and apparently losing condition at the same time.

Alternatively, I guess we might need to find ourselves a new Neurologist!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi. It is true that some cases of hereditary spastic diplegia fail to show symptoms until late childhood or middle age. As they grow, their increasing muscle stiffness inhibits the longitudinal growth of the muscle and leads to orthopedic deformities and muscle contractures sooner or later. However, spastic symptoms of cerebral palsy may be treated with combination drugs, physical therapy, braces and orthopedic surgery, if needed. For other concerns, ask your doctor for help. Thanks for asking.
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed with charcot marie tooth(CMT) when I was 10 years old. It has gradually gotten much worse. My 3 year old son however has started to display symptoms somewhat the same as mine. Even though what I have is inheritable the doctors are telling me that his seems more like cerebral palsy. He is always tired, has a poor gate (clumsy, spastic muscles, and walks a little different), and his speech is not very understandable, yet he is very very smart. He has never had any brain injuries, and the symptoms were just noticed last year. Is it really possible that he has CP, or is it more likely that he has just inherrited what I have??
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Cerebral Palsy Community

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease