Avatar universal


My son will be third generation in my family to have chiari malformation type 1. For four days he had debilitating head pain which lead to MRI which lead to his dx. I see a specialist at All Children's Hospital. She recommended surgery but said we could monitor his symptoms after four HORRIBLE days his head pain has cleared. he doesn't have build up of fluid in his spine but did have two days of strange painless limping. I called to ask the surgeon about it but the MEDICAL ASSISTANT disregarded my concerns not even letting the NS know. The limping ALSO subsided. I am going to set up an appointment to see the NS next week to discuss things further. I feel great about the NS but very upset with the assistant. No one in my family has had the decompression surgery but all live with TERRIBLE head pain my mother gets pain injections for the pain and I unfortunately have no insurance to have surgery as an option... i live in pain everyday.

My overall question is i don't know if i should jump to surgery with my child or WAIT for things to get worse... my fear is he is very small and the head pains have stopped should i wait for them to return as im sure they will or wait. Logic tell me to get the surgery but the mother in me is deathly terrified..

please any advice or story would be of great help!!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
I don't have any advice as I was diagnosed as an adult (of course looking back had symptoms since child hood) but I wanted to offer you support. What a scary thing to go through!!! CSF flow would be a determining factor I am sure but quality of life would be so important to consider as well. Good luck!
Helpful - 0
620923 tn?1452915648

  Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum,

Chiari symptoms do cycle and with the crazy weather we are having this winter it is even affecting those of us who have had surgery.....

Surgery is only needed if he has a CSF obstruction....Surgery does not always eliminate symptoms...some mayb, but ALL, not something to have surgery for....

Make sure u have a true Chiari specialist and they do testing to rule out ALL related conditions and even non related so u know the best course of action.

I know it is not easy to see ur child in pain, but try and find out more about how his Chiari is affecting him and his overall health first.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Chiari Malformation Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
987762 tn?1331027953
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease