Looking for Ohio Chiari Specialist

Hi all!  First timer here.  I recently found out that I'm a candidate for surgery based on diminished to-and-fro CSF flow and 2 micro syrinx.  My herniation is 16 mm (I know this doesn't matter as much as symptoms).  My symptoms started Oct 2020 with stabbing left rear head pain with cough (virus), bending over and exertion.  The severe pain went away after the virus but many, mostly mild, symptoms that come and go remain.
The neurosurgeon talked about identifying other conditions (several symptoms that he didn't think were related to Chiari) but never really seemed to go anywhere with that.  
I am considering getting a second opinion.  As of right now we are waiting 6 months to have another 3 MRI's of the spine to see if the syrinxes get larger or if symptoms get worse.  I would like to know all the things that are wrong so that I can know what symptoms go with what condition as to have an idea of what has the potential of getting better with surgery.  I think it's key to making an informed decision as it is a major surgery not to be taken lightly.  He spoke of this the first visit but once he got the MRI results seemed to not care about that anymore.  Thanks for your input!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I am glad you are looking for a second opinion....keeping in mind  a NS gets paid if they do surgery....so, they will offer it....and many should not since they are not well informed or experienced with Chiari and ALL the related conditions.

Having the right Dr is key...and reveling ALL related conditions you have is also KEY!!

From what you wrote I know you have Chiari and Syringomyelia....any other conditions?

As for Drs in Ohio....we do have a list, the list however is NOT a referral or endorsement for those listed....our list was compiled by members here of Drs they have been to, treated by and liked....it is here for you to use to research the Drs to find the right Dr for you.
Many of us have to travel to get to the right Dr...even out of state.

OHIO

Dr. Lisa Lystad-Opthalmologist
Cleveland Clinic
9500 Euclid Ave
Cleveland OH 44195

Dr. John M. Tew, Jr.
Mayfield Clinic
Unv Medical Arts Bldg.
222 Piedmont Ave, Suite 3100
Cincinnati, OH 45219
(513)221-1100

If you have more questions, post them here and we will try to answer as best we can....just know you are not alone.

You are reading content posted in the Chiari Malformation Community