Chiari Malformation Community

scuba diving with syrinx

My daughter was diagnosed with a Chiari Malformation with a syrinx.  She had a posterior fossa craniectomy to make room for the Chiari.  The hope was that with time, the syrinx would reduce, but it has not (it has been 2 years).  It is not getting worse, but it is fairly severe and is present in almost the entire length of the spinal cord.  Since she is asymptomatic, our neurosurgeon is NOT recommending a stint be used to drain this and she has not had this done.  My son and I are both certified scuba divers, and my daughter very much wants to do this as well, but I'm concerned about the affects of pressure on the syrinx.  She is presently 11.  Any thoughts?
I would contact a medical facility that has a barometric chamber. Maybe they might have knowledge of what happens to your spinal cord when under water or under pressure. I wish I knew...   Stacey
COMMUNITY LEADER
I agree u need to contact a dr that is well versed on syringomyelia.....mayb the NS that did her surgery can offer an idea about this topic.I am so happy to hear ur DD is able to try things like this and is asymptomatic.

Please post here what u find out as I am curious too : )

"selma"
I would be VERY hesitant about SCUBA diving, as even air pressure changes in a plane can cause serious syrinx issues as well as Chiari problems.