Chiari Malformation Community

what should i expect int he coming days?

I have been diagnosed this week with Chiari Malformation at 17mm. my neurologist is 50% sure it is what is causing my headaches and I will be having a consultation for the surgery on Monday. I'm really hoping for the surgery and am afraid if they decline me. I am planning on cutting my hair short for the procedure, I know its not necessary but have read about the scalp hurting afterwards and am wishing to avoid that.

also

would they postpone the surgery due to the fact I am recovering from bronchitis? I only have the lingering cough now.
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi KenziePaige and welcome to the Chiari forum.

To have surgery is much more then to help relieve headaches....May I ask, what other symptoms you are having?
ALso was a CINE MRI done to check for a CSF obstruction.....and were ALL related conditions ruled out? This is VERY Important if you plan to have surgery and get a few opinions as surgery is not a cure or fix....some symptoms may remain while some could get worse....so do make sure all the related conditions are ruled out as they can affect how you feel and heal post op should you be a surgical candidate.