Child Behavior Community

Gender Identity in my 3 year old?

My 3 year old son has been wanting to dress in girls dresses and girls shoes. I am open to letting him explore different things but I can't help but worry about it. He is very secretive about it and will shut bedroom doors and try to dress himself. When I find him in the act, he gets embarassed and runs away. I feel torn beteween telling him that boys don't dress that way because I would never want to make him feel embarassed or ashamed. Is it just a stage? Have other Moms experienced this and what was the outcome?
the behavior is normal, buy some dress up clothes for both of u to wear. it can be dresses to firemen suite. he is hiding b/c he doesnt want to upset u and he is afraid he will get in trouble. make it a fun time. my son did the same thing and he is fine.
good luck