5 year old Chronic Cough All Day Long for 3 Years!

My granddaughter a chronic cough. She is now 5 years old
The longest period of time she has not had this cough has been 2 months.
The odd thing is the cough comes and goes. Whens he does get this cough she has it so bad that not a minute can go by without her coughing (this lasts ALL day and night), not a moment of stopping!  She will throw up at night because of so much coughing.  
Sometimes doesn't cough at all!, sometimes this can last 1-2 months.
This pattern has been now going on for 3 years.  My daughter is at her wits end because no one has been able to give her a reason for this. First we were told it was RTS and as of yesterday at her pediatrician was told its is ASTHMA (will need to take an inhaler Albuterol)

My granddaughter has been to an ENT already who put tubes in her ears and scraped her adenoids.
She has also been to her pediatrician more often then not.
It seems she is not able to go a full 3 months without this cough rearing its ugly head.
No one in the house smokes, there are no pets...etc.  

Other things which has been tried have been humidifier which delivers cool air into her bedroom at night this seems to help a little but low and behold the cough comes back.
She has also been giving nebulizer treatments by her pediatrician, again short time solution.

If anyone at all has any ideas please let us know. For the most part we are told she will grow out of it!
Should be see pulmonologist next?
Lora
Consider food allergies or sensitivities, such as dairy.  There are many milk substitutes you could try and see if there is improvement.  Soy would not be my first choice, and nuts are also a common allergen, so almond may not be wise either.  Maybe flax milk or hemp milk or rice milk.  See if mint tea gives relief as it is an antiinflammatory.  
Hello Lora, I'm a grandma too..so I know how you feel.I've been coughing for over 3 yrs. ,I have constant Chronic Sinusitis and coughing..and I don't smoke/drink
I would take your g/son to an ALLERGIST, as he's already been to an ENT  & pediatrician w/out help.. Perhaps this cough is allergy related. It's worth he be tested for allergies. If that is the culprit he is young enough to get allergy shots.."NOW IS THE SEASON FOR SHOTS" (saw dr. today for myself and he was giving children/tots shots)
which will halt him from getting worse. I don't know what part of the country you reside..but after my long in/outs of drs. office. I SAY GO TO A UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL closest to you...worth the travel vs. misdiagnosing your g/son and ongoing not getting better. Please let me know how you make out...
Blessing to you and your family...pray you find the Dr. and the answer.
Kate
Lora, whoever told you RTS for your gr/dtr ?
...google that disorder on the computer and ask yourself if she has the symptoms. Now, Asthma vs. RTS?...NEED 2ND OPINION.

Why is say UNIVERSITY HOSITAL SPECIALIST ..ALLERGY...THEN PULMONARY..
I'M NOT A DR...JUST A WORRY GRMA LIKE ALL OF US...AND TRYING TO HELP YOU FROM  MY EXPERIENCE WITH DOCTORS. WHO SAY..  "GO TO UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL." 3YRS. TOOO LONG FOR A TOT TO ENDUR...I'M OLDER TO ENDURE SUCH.
KATE
Thank you EVERYONE for your response.  My daughter has started my granddaughter on the albuterol inhaler as per her last visit to the doctor, My daughter =says she is doing well. (not coughing)  MY Concern is All remedies work only for a SHORT TIME .  I can guarantee this is not the end of testing. Will keep all who responded up to date. God Bless for people like you who are concerned enough to answer a strangers question!  Happy Holidays :)
Lora, Thank God you gr/dtr. is getting some relief. Don't stop trying to find the underlying answer. Still consider a Teaching Universal Hospital if this doesn't work out. Drs. try their best..but we have to find the ones that have seen these situations over & over again..DON'T STOP...
So happy for you and family ,..relief at last.. It might be a seasonal problem...and perhaps this albuterol will only be need at certain times of the year..PRAY THIS IS THE ANSWER. ENJOY YOUR CHRISTMAS, BLESSINGS AND PRAYERS,
KATE
My granddaughter was on the albuterol for about 4 days and started coughing again.  She went to the ENT (routine visit)  find out she has a double ear infection and sinus infection. (was given antibiotics) again.  My daughter called the Pediatrician to let them know and ask if she should be giving her the albuterol along with the antibiotics.  The pediatrican response was "its up to you" WTH!! Either which way going to clear up this sinus infection and ear infection with the antibiotics and then back to the ENT and pediatrician.  Going to have a air quality test done in the home this coming Wednesday and see if there is an underlying cause there.  Also will suggest to my daughter the no milk thing. Somethings got to help this little girl.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Lora
Thank you! will def try the Milk alergy theory! Something has got to work!
Hi Lora,SOO SORRY STILL ONGOING, HANG IN THERE.. Wow, cannot believe that pediatrian's  remarks. Maybe it's time to find "new eyes", compassionate  pediatrician.. sounds like he's a bit upset you went to ENT dr.?, Tough... I THINK THE ENT DR. IS RIGHT, TAKE BOTH FOR TIME HE INSTRUCTED, IT WON'T HURT HER., It could give her some relief of pain/coughing.. Sinus/allergy bad this time. Getting re-infected isn't unusual....I got infected 3 wks. after antibi's..dr. d/know why either.
I had my home tested, fine. I would suggest vs. home test that you have a
pediatrician or ENT DR. check her immume system, why meds aren't working.
My gr/dtr (bit older) also took albuterol and prednisone, helped a lot, no ear infections though. Your Grdr's  ears, does sound like she has a very bad infection and proper meds is the answer, worth trying Ent's scripts.
Checking Home: .unless you've had "mold", I doubt it's in the house. I'M NOT A DR., SO PLEASE use your own judgement...I'm just replying to what's been my experience and grdtrs. Doctors. get frustrated when they can't figure "it" out... keep pushing.To me, I doubt milk would give her an ear ache.  My heart goes out to you and your daughter, pain for a child is Horrible. PEACEFUL HEALTHY CHRISTMAS, Keep us posted on your decision. Haven't been on lately..
Kate
Checking out home...If, this isn't the answer perhaps your daughter and granddaughter could leave this home for 2wks. to see if the house is
the culprit. That advice that was given to me. Also, check your water
contaminants lay in the pipes (esp. old). My friend has MAC (google it) and
she was coughing until she had an MRI (showed s/thing) then a bronchoscopy to determine she inhaled. particles dirt, etc.,possibly from her  old house water & pipes, not specific. She on antibi's for ONE YR. (67YRSAGE)..Coughing has subsided.
Also, keep a composition book of daily foods, activities and gdrtr's. reactions to such. Update & type  a medical list on puter of dr. she's been to meds given and results. If doctoring continues l ALL want to know who, what, where she went and meds she took, keep a journal.
Is it possible the day school is the culprit? Trying to think to help this little one feel better.  GOOD LUCK,
KATE
Thanks for your reply!  Had the house tested and waiting for results to come back from lab. So either way this is ruled in or out, one way or another. Next will be the water just to be on the safe side (never thought about the water)
As of tonight my Granddaugher is healthy, still on antibiotics but will ENJOY her Christmas without coughing :)  
Back to the ENT for follow up soon.
Thanks Again,
Lora
Glad the ENT Dr. is following up with you. Brita Filter pitcher I use and change filters for drinking. Showers, etc. get into our pores, per Dr. in Pennsylvania.,,and of course, DR. OZ.
GRANDMAS NEVER STOP WORRYING...DTR. AND G/DTR. VERY LUCKY TO HAVE A "CARING GRMA.
HAPPY YOUR G/DTR IS ON THE MENDS.
LORA I LIVE IN  NEW JERSEY (More north)
..I Was wondering if weather has a factor. What part of the country do you reside, if I'm not being personal. Why I ask? My allergist told me
"GO LIVE IN FLA. OR ARIZONA, change of climate. Yet, another dr. said "that's ridiculous.
SO HAPPY YOUR G/Dtr. GETS TO ENJOY CHRISTMAS,...KEEP IN TOUCH.
KATE
Have you considered the toxins from the aerial spraying they are doing, many are sick with similar symptoms ..ask for a heavy metal toxicity test ..watch 'What on earth are they Spraying' on utube

You are reading content posted in the Children's Allergies Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.