Can Chlamydia Come Back After You've Gotten Rid of It?

So I've been reading a lot about chlamydia staying in the intestinal tract even after you've treated it successfully. I read that it can rear it's ugly head again at some time in the future and can make you once again test positive. Is this true?

Also, I see doctors on here direct people who test negative but with positive partners to take the medication anyway in case there was a false negative. Well, why not direct them to just get tested again? IF the second test came out negative too, wouldn't that mean you really didn't have it?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Yes, it sure can. It can live in your gut. That is my current situation. I took 2 grams of azithromycin over a month ago and my symptoms all returned 3 weeks later. I'm taking a 7 day course of minocycline, but it doesn't seem to be working. It only temporarily relieves my symptoms and then they all come back each day around the time I need to take another pill. I don't mean to scare you, but there might be some antibiotic resistant strains of both chlamydia and gonorrhea. I'm living in Japan by the way.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Chlamydia Community

Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.