Chlamydia cured but symptoms persist!!!

On October 15th I contracted Chlamydia.  The only symptom I experienced was penile discharge, which began around November 25th.  On December 8th i was diagnosed positive for Chlamydia.  Treated with single dose1g Azithromycin.  Discharge never went away.  Got retested on January 8th, and received automatic treatment with 7 day Doxycycline taken twice a day.  The results of the test on January 8th came back negative.  It is now January 19th.  I am still experiencing a clear, fairly thick discharge in the morning, and also when aroused sexually.  After both treatments, and the negative test result, I am confident that the infection has been killed, but do not understand why the discharge persists.  (I tested negative both times for gonorrhea.)  Any thoughts?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I would just like to update anyone interested on the outcome of this situation.  When I consulted the public health center about the continued discharge after treatment and negative test results, they told me that I may have prostatitis and should go to a urologist.  As I have no insurance and cannot afford to pay for a urologist visit, this advice was completely useless.  I researched my symptoms further on the internet, and the last possible infection I found to have similar symptoms to mine was trichomoniasis.  I was never tested for this at the pub health clinic, nor was it mentioned to me as a possibile co-infection with the chlamydia, which I have found is a highly common occurrance.  Fed up with the "professional help" available in my city, I decided to fight this pest myself.  I ordered Flagyl from an online pharmacy, and when it arrived, on February 12th,  I took 2g in a single dose.  Within a week, the discharge was gone, and has not returned since.  I do not know, for sure, if I was infected with Trich, but whatever was causing the discharge, the Flagyl killed it.  However, I am not out of the woods, just yet.  The three courses of antibiotics left me with an overgrowth of candida.  I have oral thrush, a penile yeast infection, and had a nasty rash breakout on my hands.  I then began the chore of fighting this new nuisance.  I have gone through three bottles of Candex, four bottles of 50 million CFU probiotics, and a month of a, anti-candida diet.  The rash on my hands is gone, but the other symptoms remain.  I am going to order Diflucan this week to kill the remaining candida.  I will repost with an update, later.  I post this info as a message to anyone who is as frustrated as I was with both the persistent symptoms and the lack of concern from a medical community that I feel is sorely lacking competence.  They dismissed my recurrent symptoms as prostatitis, which they were not, and told me they could not help me anymore.  Talk about a feeling of hopelessness.  Plus, what I find to be most astounding, is that NOBODY ever mentioned the likelyhood of candida, following antibiotics.  If you are to undergo antibiotics for anything, I suggest that you concurrently go on a course of probiotics, and use the good ones with the protective coating.  Perhaps you can avoid the nonsense I have had to deal with.  If you are a doctor treating people with std's, I suggest that you do your job and explore every possible reason for the symptoms your patient is experiencing.  Just because it is an std does not mean a person is somehow a second-class citizen, undeserving of first-class treatment.
Helpful - 1
Hello. I have the same problem! I had a woman lie to me about being tested and so I ended up with Chlamydia! I was tested for Trich, Chlamydia, and a few other things. The only positive thing was Chlamydia! After two treatments I have tested negative for Chlamydia twice but I still have a very slight, clear, sometimes milky discharge during the day. It can be over 24 hours since I masturbated and over 6 hours since I went pee and I still have the clear, sometimes creamy discharge appear! My doctors have no idea and think it is all in my head even though I don't even think about it until I feel the wetness in my underwear! I don't know what to do. Not to excited to take that candida stuff...
Helpful - 1
Thank you for the response.  I do not want to beat a dead horse over this, but must have one final piece.  I apologize for the misnderstanding, but I did not quote you as stating trich was "impossible", my quote was "difficult", in agreement with you.  I added "not impossible", because, in my opinion, that makes it worthy of testing for it, in cases such as mine.  I did not go to a general practitioner, I went to the Public health Department's STD clinic, in my city.  And, unless I am completely off-base here, I would expect the doctors at a public std clinic to be fully knowledgeable about stds.  I also did not say that it was standard procedure to treat chlamydia upon presumption.  I said that the standard procedure for "continued" chlamydia symptoms, indicating a failure of the initial treatment with azithromycin, was to treat with a 7 day course of Doxy, before the results of the retest come back, which it is.  I appreciate your point that "nobody is perfect", and that the docs may not be able to treat or cure every ailment, but it's not as if I was a candidate for an episode of House.  As I stated earlier, co-infection by trich and chlamydia is common, and candida overgrowth is a very common occurrence following antibiotic use.  I was not afflicted with unknown medical mystery illnesses, I had incredibly common infections.  And finally, I don't have a problem with certain types of businesses cutting costs...but not a doctor.  At least not one who I'm paying to treat me.  lol
Helpful - 1
I never said it was impossible to detect in men.  And all doctors are not required to be thoroughly knowledgeable on every aspect or detail about std's.  Yes, it would be nice if they were, but it isn't a law.  That is why they have doctors that specialize in certain fields. My only guess is that you went to a general practitioner.

It is NOT standard procedure to treat chlamydia on presumption.  It is up to the doctor and patient's discretion and it depends on the circumstances.  If presumptive treatment was standard, then why did I have to wait at my std testing center even though I had obvious symptoms?  And this is a state funded facility.

Really, we are all human and nobody is perfect.  We would all like to know that we can go to the doctor and he or she can diagnose our every problem and cure us or provide treatment.  That simply is not the case.  Std testing is costly and because of the level of difficulty in detecting trich in men, would it not be logical to avoid the cost?  That may have been what happened.  Also, do you not think it is logical that your doctor recommended a urologist because he may not have known what else to do?  

You did what you felt you had to do and it seems to have worked for you.  But look at the consequences from it?  What if you had an allergic reaction?  Or what if you treated yourself incorrectly and only managed to suppress your symptoms temporarily?  Think outside the box.  There are several ways to think about it before saying doctors don't treat patients properly.
Helpful - 0
I appreciate your response. The Flagyl certainly guaranteed my candida overgrowth, but the Doxy could very well have been a factor, as well.  The continued discharge that I had following treatment, could have been the result of the yeast infection and I simply assumed it was still from the chlamydia.  I may have avoided all this trouble, had i been advised to simply take a coulpe of bottles of probiotics, as a precaution.  I self-treated because I had to.  The doctor I did consult refused to investigate my symptoms any further, and, as I stated in my last post, told me to go to a urologist.  With no insurance and not being a wealthy person, this was not real option.  Trich is difficult, but not impossible to detect in men.  As a possible reason for continued discharge symptoms, it should have, at the very least, been mentioned as a possibility.  I find it highly disturbing that the medical community's approach to dealing with trich in men is to wait until they infect a woman.  The standard method for dealing with the continued chlamydia symptoms was to go ahead and prescribe a week of Doxy, even before the return test results came back, which is what my doctor did.  Why is the same approach not taken with trich.  Again, I am not suggesting that doctor's should be randomly treating infections without proof. However, in my case, and I believe from reading other posts on this website, in a lot of other people's cases, the facts are/were: a)sufficient treatment was administered and completed to kill the chlamydia infection, b) symptoms remain, and c) co-infection by chlamydia and trichomoniasis is quite a common occurrence.  The odds are that I had the trich infection.  This is almost proven, due to the disappearance of my symptoms only a few days after taking the flagyl.  So my self-treatment was exactly what a doctor would have prescribed, had they taken the time to look for the infection.  On a final note, I recieved my fluconazole today, and have taken my first 200mg.  I will take 100mg per day for the next 20 days.  Again, for anybody who is curious, or experiencing similar issues, I will post my results, at that time.  
Helpful - 0
I am also facing similar situation, I have been treating for whatever it is but after my doze I still experience discharge I am so confused and do not know what to do I have been treating this for over 2 months
In the doctors defense, it was most likely the flagyl that caused the candida problem.  You self-treated.  EVERY time I take flagyl I get oral thrush and a yeast infection. Had you consulted your doctor, it may have been mentioned that you would run the risk of getting candida overgrowth. This is one of the reasons why we do not recommend self-treatment.  

Also, trich can be difficult to detect in men.  So, unless you get a partner informing you that they were infected with trich and you may be as well, a doctor is not going to test or treat you for it.
Helpful - 0
It may be pre-seminal fluid.  I am not a guy but I was married.  And my husband was especially aroused in the morning.
Helpful - 0
Ok, so I'm not a doctor but my situation seems similar to yours. About a month ago, I tested positive for chlamydia. I took the 2 gram dose of Azithromycin all in one go. My symptoms disappeared for about 3 weeks or so and then suddenly came back one morning. It was the strangest thing because between the time I took the medicine and 3 weeks later, I didn't have any form of sex with anyone. I have read that chlamydia can live in the gut and come back to reinfect someone who has been treated for it, which might be my situation. Anyway, I'm finishing up a 7 day course of minocycline, which isn't giving me as many terrible side effects, but I don't think this medicine is effectively clearing up my infection. I am getting a little worried to be honest...
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Chlamydia Community

Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.