Compulsive Behaviors Forum

Talks to herself way too much

I have a young relative who was teribly abused as a child, not sexually, but has never had normal relationships and, as a result of constant lonliness, talks to herself almost all the time.  It is noticeable to others around her, even to her neighbors, so I know an abnormal neural pathway exists which should be treated.  It is personal, but give me your best advice on direct and discreet treatment.  She doesn't have alot of money, is very strong and tries hard, but needs help.

I think she needs good therapy, it sounds like the talking to herself is the least of it.  Most cities have low fee therapy programs available through teaching hospitals or clinics.  I don't think it makes sense to try and treat the symptom alone.

tg
She has been in treatment, successfully and recently disappointed, so I am looking for good quality care for her.  Again, very personal, but she is very functional and surprise you as to how well she can "heal herself" as she refers to it.

For the abnormal neural pathway, what medications are used to suppress them?
Is it clear if her disappointment in therapy is because the therapy was not very good or if she is re-experiencing the life pattern of not being treated well in the therapy?  Meds can work for anxiety, depression, and psychotic thinking.  They may be useful for her,  but the best treatment for abuse involves confronting it, not suppressing it.

tg
Confrontation to abusers is easy enough for her, she is a very brave girl.  No other way about her.

She won't go to just anyone and I can understand it.  thought of sending her out of the country for complete help.  she doesn't hallucinate nor do drugs/alcohol.  tries very hard to rebuild her life, but doesn't trust community mental health clinics.  I get mad just hearing what she recalled for me.

Comment.
Quality treatment with someone who has deep experience treating abuse issues is the key.  It is going to take time at best so it needs to be someone who will be available long term, not just passing through some facility.  Unfortunately quality and continuity often go with higher cost.

The meds piece may be easier as that could be intermittant after an initial evaluation.

What area are you located in?  Is there insurance available to help? Any idea what sort of funds say per month might be available for therapy?
New York, she doesn't have insurance that you have to pay for, so that means me, of course.

Give me a search engine to choose from because she lives in Albany, which could be alot less than NYC area.

I was hoping it might be an area I had contacts in,  but no luck.  One thought would be rather than going to generic search engines, are there any professional contacts or colleagues of colleagues, any more personal links at all that you could work with?  It sounds like she is the kind of special kid who might really touch someone's heart and have them willing to do some sort of special sliding scale arrangement especially if there was some personal link, however indirect.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.