Coronary Heart Disease (CAD) Community
167 Members

Why is Cardiology Reactive and not Preventive?

Hi everyone

I lost my father 7 years ago to heart disease, some of you know already.

I'm curious, why does the field of Cardiology appear to be reactive to cardiac 'events' only and not focussed on preventing them?  Surely with something so important and irreplaceable as the heart, the discipline should have evolved to prevent events, not to react to them.

If I'm wrong in any way please feel free to educate me because all i want is the truth.  Does Cardiology need to improve?  If so in what ways?  Thanks  
Finances money costs. Long ago with my then cardiologist he went with retirement some years ago, I ask why they do not do population tests his answer was they would find too many patients needing something done.Is a lot of undiagnosed people out there.Not all issues of heart give symptoms or mild symptoms are taken for something else. Mind you when I went to cardiology first time was for a simple thing, BP meds my GP prescribed was not working at all. My GP switched my meds several times before I got a ref note to be allowed to go to a cardiologist. I am in EU and rule here is first you visit GP and they decide if and when a specialist is needed. Once one is with a cardiologist depends on what one has, they sort of can do certain things/tests/meds/therapies/gadgets like pacemakers etc. When my cardiologist went with retirement was only 5 people left of the ones when he had just started his practise.Over the decades I have seen many faces in that waiting room.
The truth about cardiology might take a book the answers are not easy. My second cardiologist who I have now had a few years I see him once a year, few tests and home I go, and here I am answering this.
There has been an increasing emphasis on preventive cardiology as described in the following article:
https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2019/10/10/23/20/the-future-of-preventive-cardiology-training

There is even an entire medical society dedicated to preventive cardiology:
https://www.aspconline.org/
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.