Avatar universal


My question is how can i get my insurance to approved my gynecomastia surgey as reconstructive and not cosmetic.  I am 26 years old and about 4 years ago I have gastric bypass surgery.  Since then i have lost about 150 lbs.  i have a lot of extra skin in my chest area and am too self concious to go without a shirt on.  Not only that, i also have back pain, poor posture and hygiene and rashing.  The insurance still sees this as a cosmetic procedure and I can not afford to pay for all of this out of pocket.  What should i do?
2 Responses
242582 tn?1193613120
I would agree that your problem is not cosmetic, but reconstructive.  If your doctor has written to the insurance company for pre-authorization for this procedure and surgery has been denied, then I would take steps to directly contact your carrier and obtain information about the basis for their decision.  Also ask for the criteria they use to make the distinction between cosmetic and reconstruction surgery.  Review this information with your doctor.  

Finally, if all else fails, you may consider obtaining legal help to threaten a bad faith legal action.  Another option would be to take the issue up with your state's insurance commission.
Avatar universal
A related discussion, gynecomastia was started.

You are reading content posted in the Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Forum

Popular Resources
Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.
The first signs of HIV may feel like the flu, with aches and a fever.
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.