Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
228 Members

Concerned about dvt/blood clots.

I know that many people can have these and show few, to no, symptoms and it's bothering me.

I'm a 26 year old full-time worker (fast food/high stress). I'm on my feet extensively for work (7 - 9) hours a night.
I don't eat/drink junk food/high fats or consume much alcohol. I am, however, a smoker. Usually 2 packs a week for the past four years.

my risk factors would be: smoking, i used to be quite obese but am now in a healthy bmi range (250 lb 2 years ago, 135 lb now at 5'2"), and sitting for long periods of time at my desk/bed on computer (i do make an effort to move/stretch out my legs/feet all the time though)

I've noticed some symptoms over the past few months (since April) having to do with my left leg. It started with a sore spot (like razor burn) on the outside of my thigh, but lately as gotten worse. I've been to the ER for sudden, jolting/tingling that scared me twice, yet they said it was nothing. My left leg cramps up and spasms daily, usually during the night (i work night shifts): my knee/thigh aches deeply, muscle spasms, and jolting pain at the front of my ankle/knee/back and side of calf. I know I'm a natural worrier and I don't want to come across as being a hypochondriac, but I'm very concerned that this could be DVT/blood clot.

I've tried to talk to a doctor about getting an ultrasound, but I was just prescribed muscle cream that did nothing.

I've tried: elevating my legs while I sleep, light exercise, wearing a compression stocking, numerous nsaids (naproxen, mortin), aspirin, hot/cold compresses/creams, and even muscle-relaxants, but nothing seems to be working. Most of my pain is a general dull aching that gets worse the longer I am on my feet, but eases up entirely when I'm laying down. Along with the problems with my left leg, my lower/upper back are incredibly tight and achy (progressively worse over the past two years).

Should I continue to try and seek a doctor for blood work/ultrasound? I really would like to figure out what's wrong, I just feel, because of my age and previously diagnosed anxiety/depression, that I'm not being taken seriously at all and it's frustrating/making my anxiety worse.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.