Having intense pain in shoulder & arms

4 years ago I had intense pain in shoulder & arm in both arms.  (I was painting a rental house) My GP thought it was corpol tunnel and I slept in splints and followed his advise for 8 weeks.  I then went to a orthopedic who thought I had tendinitis and sent me to physical therapy (learning exercises using the rubberbands)  Finally I went to another orthopedic and he immediately suspected my neck and did a neck x-ray.  X-ray revealed subluxation in spine C-3 thru C-7, Cervical stenosis at C5/C6, Degenerative disc at C5/C6 in Stage 3, showing 6-8 bone spurs around C4,5 &6
Also my neck curves at C1,C2 and then it's straight which probably caused alot of the degeneration.  We really didn't talk about the neck any more but he did give me several shots for my pain in the arm.  Eventually, the pain in my right arm stopped but I still had pain in the left.  Certain motions I could not do without it hurting, almost like I had rotator cuff tear but I could life my arms overhead..  In '07, I went back to the latest orthopedic and he did an MRI on my left shoulder/arm.   The MRI showed Subscapularis and Supraspinatus tendinosis with longitudinal split and advanced tendinosis of the longhead biceps tendon.  He talked to me about the surgery but couldn't tell me for sure if the pain was coming from my neck or from my bicep splitting...so I walked out deciding it didn't hurt bad enough if he couldn't be sure it would relieve my pain.  This last year....2009, it has been intense and having trouble sleeping because of the pain.  I finally decided I would have the surgery but went to a chiropractor and presently in my 4th week of treatment.  Now..... I still have some pain with certain motions in my left shoulder/arm but my right arm/shoulder now hurts all the time.  I also have some tingling in both my hands & fingers and occasionally feel it in my feet but can't imagine why..maybe that's my imagination).  By the intense pain shifting from left arm to right I know now that the pain must be radiating from my neck.  By the way, I have always worked out in weight classes/aerobics but now can't use weights away from my body at all.  Sometimes the pain is worse in my biceps top & bottom and other times at the front of back of my shoulder.. On occasion my shoulder blade hurts/aches.   I'm thinking of trying a acupuncture next and then visiting a neosurgeon maybe even requesting an MRI of my neck instead of continuing with the chiropractor.    Does this sound like typical degenrative disc problem causing all this pain?  Any suggestions on next action to take?  I'm also a videographer and wear progressive trifocals and on locations, I find myself tilting my head back to look into the video monitor with my bifocal and that really hurts my neck.....I do plan to see my eye doctor soon too and have lowers computer monitors so I don't have to look thru bi-focal to see it.  Also when I use my mouse for editing (it has a wheel) it hurts my lower bicep and my fingers tingle.  ??????/  Appreciate any advice, direction you can share with me.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have similar pains, not as bad, but I have DDD and 3 herniated discs in my neck and one in my lower back.  The doctor told me I have more arthritis in my spine than he usually sees in 4 people.  I get that bicep and tricep pain and can't be on the computer too long.

The only thing I can say is avoid surgery.  I know many people who had it for cervical disc problems and back problems, and now they are worse.  I am trying arthritis meds, heat, ice, PT (didn't help).  I haven't done a chiropractor.

I used to work out all the time, now I can hardly walk some days.  I don't know your age, but I am 53, so some arthritis is expected, but this is bad.  I feel for you.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for posting your comments.  Do you find that your arms/shoulders ache more at night?  I had read somewhere that neck issues would cause pain in the arms and tingling/numbness but shouldn't cause problems with "range of motion"  but it certainly does mine.  You said you had DDD, what is that?    Oh, I just turned 59 and trying my best not to "act" like I'm 79.  (I have a 3 month old grandbaby and I can't hardly pick him up or hold him without feeling feeling the pain. It's terrible
Helpful - 0
DDD is degenerative disc disease.  Yes, my arms ache a lot at night.  Sometimes they feel like they weigh 100 lbs. each.  I have back pain, knee pain, high blood pressure--I'm just a mess and very depressed right now.

It is hard to keep going to different doctors, but not really getting any solid answers.  They say *well, it could be this or that or JUST arthritis or fibromyalgia or autoimmune*  You start to go crazy trying to diagnose yourself.  

One thing is maybe carpal tunnel?  I did have surgery for this on my right wrist.  It helped the wrist and thumb pain, but not the shoulder.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Degenerative Diseases Community

Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.