Dementia Community
54 Members

How to tell the difference between normal memory loss and dementia?

Hi there, the reason for my question/post is that I have been growing more concern for my father. I am wondering if it is possible that he is in the early stages of developping dementia or some type of similar disorder.

I talked to my sister about it and she said that she didn't think there was reason for concern and I was overreating because people with dementia will have visible mood changes, etc.

My father turned 61 this year and his memory is terrible. And when I say terrible, I mean terrible. Here is an example: one day he picked me up from work and then asked I was working next. I told him the day and time. Now not even a minute of silence went by.... and he asked me the exact same question! And he was not even kidding around.

Things like this happen all the time. I only started noticing how bad his memory he was/his forgetfulness when I moved in beside him. He not only forget things people have said but he will forget things he was suppose to bring... if you ask him what he said if you misheard or accidentally cut him off, he will not remember.

And I noticed he does have swift mood changes. He will be normal and then be very angry and ranty then will calm himself down and be normal again. There are also times where he just looks depressed.

I don't know... maybe I am overreacting? How do you tell between normal memory loss due to age and early stages of dementia, etc.?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.