Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dementia Community
54 Members

What are my chances of developing dementia?

My mother has it(she has a type that makes people violent and aggressive) and her mother had it(don't know what type she had).  I heard it is passed primarily through the mother's side.  I have type 2 diabetes if it matters.
2 Responses
585414 tn?1288944902
  There is ongoing research to see if there is a potential connection
between diabetes and Alzheimer's but it hasn't been confirmed yet.
It would depend on the cause of the dementia as to whether
its a condition that can be inherited or not.
1756321 tn?1547098925
Alzheimer's is also been dubbed diabetes type 3. When I read about the book Brain Grain by Dr David Perlmutter, it all clicked as to what was causing my cats dementia symptoms. Carbs!  I got rid of all carbs in her diet and her dementia symptoms improved drastically although some mild behavioural issues remain. Plus she lost weight loss, her appetite improved, no more severely itchy skin or UTI infections and more energy. :)

Sweden's new dietary guidelines is low carb high fat or LCHF for short. This diet is popular for weight loss and is used for treating epilepsy and has been shown to reverse type 2 diabetes, improve symptoms of type 1, reverse fatty liver, improving heart health markers to name a few benefits.  Diet Doctor has more info about LCHF.

Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.