Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Is it safe to get braces when I have Periodontal Disease?

Is it safe to get braces when I have Periodontal Disease?  I'm a 33 year old male.  I would like to get jaw surgery for my under bite.  I saw an Orthodontist and he said braces are usually used before surgery.  Supposedly the braces are also utilized during surgery.  I also have Periodontal Disease that I'm focusing on and trying to prevent from getting worse.  It seems regular flossing is impossible with braces.  I was told that I would use the "Pick" design tool for flossing.  Will this work as well as flossing?  I don't want my Periodontal prevention to be hindered.
1 Responses
540545 tn?1377622918
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I would assume it would be safe if your orthodontist is fine with it.  It depends on how the dentist and orthodontist feel about your particular condition.  I'm sure neither of them would encourage you to undergo orthodontics if it would cause more problems and result in a possible lawsuit.  

You can floss while you have braces.  Can you do Invisalign or Clearcorrect instead?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.