Dental Health Forum

Periodontal Disease & Strep Throat

I was recently diagonosed with periodontal disease in the back half of my lower jaw. I have an upcoming appointment with a periodontist scheduled. I recently became ill and went to the doctor. I was diagnosed with strep throat via a throat culture. Could the bacterial from the periontal disease contribute to the strep throat, or are these likely two separate issues?
Probably not.  I believe strep throat is caused by a different type of bacteria than periodontal disease although periodontal disease is a large mix of bacteria.
Thank you, Dr. Tsang. That is helpful.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.