Dental Health Community

Periodontal Disease

Can someone please explain to me what periodontal disease is?  I have an extemely sensitive tooth on the upper right side of my mouth.  The dentist fully checked all my teeth and x-rayed them.  He said this is due to peridontal disease I have.  But he said my wisdom teeth need to be extracted quickly.  He said the peridontal disease is on all 3 of my wisdom teeth (only 3 wisom teeth grew).  They all have cavaties.  My dentist said I should have had my widom teeth extracted when I was younger even though they never bothered me.  I've been a diabetic practically all my life and my endocrinologist said it's very common for diabetics to get periodontal disease which leads to tooth loss.  But if I have this on my wisdom teeth WHY IT IS THAT MY TOOTH on the upper right side bothering me badly.  The dentist said the peridontal disease is causing that one tooth to be very very sensitive.  Is he accuate in what he's telling me?
COMMUNITY LEADER
What your dentist said was correct, I would say the same thing. There are several types of periodontal diseass. The most common one is chronic adult periodontitis.Not all teeth are affected by the periodotitis equally.