Depression/Mental Health Forum

medication

I am a self harmer and have been for abut 5 years. I recently went to the doctors to ask for help. She started me of on a course of counselling and an appointment with the psychiatrist. He presecribed amisulpride and later olanzapine (zyprexa). Is this normally used in the treatment of self harmers or does the pyschiatrist think the self harm is due to a mental illness?
Dear Alaska
It would be helpful to know more about your self harming behavior. Self destructive behavior is seen in several mental conditions such as mood disorders (depression), psychotic disorders, personality disorders etc. Zyprexa is used in the treatment of psychotic conditions. I would think that you will get a better idea of what might be the problem after going to the psychiatrist. I wish you all good luck.
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area