Depression Community

Can Venlafaxine cause your feet to sweat?

My feet started sweating after taking venlafaxine.  I’ve put up with it but now I believe it’s causing my feet (especially my right foot) to become calloused all of a sudden.  Is this possible/normal?
Antidepressants, especially those that affect serotonin, can cause sweating.  I doubt it would just be your feet, but who knows, these meds are weird.  I have gotten the sweats from some meds, but for me it was all over sweats, not just the feet.  Now, the callouses?  No.  Not the drug.  Not sweating.  What it can cause is fungal infections if it's constant, but you don't mention those.  Buy any new shoes lately?  New socks?  If it is the drug, and it's working well for you, this probably isn't enough of a problem to stop taking it for.  If it's not really working, then it might be.  If you do decide to stop this drug, better soon after you start taking it than late.  Don't quit suddenly.  But again, if it's working try to find a way to live with this, as it's not the worst side effect you can get.  Gotta be a lot better than being depressed.  Try putting some corn starch on them.  Try using moisture wicking socks or alternatively close to 100% cotton socks, assuming you can find them anymore.  It's not easy.  But it's easy to find wicking socks.  When y0u can go barefoot.  Let 'em breathe, in other words.  All the best.
Sweating is a common and bothersome adverse effect of treatment with antidepressants. Tricyclics and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) have both been clearly shown to cause sweating. Increased sweating has been reported with venlafaxine (Pierre and Guze, 2000) and bupropion (Feighner et al. 1984) as well.
Yes, but only in the feet?
I take venlafaxine and my armpits go through periods of dampness. Even with antiperspirant on. The only antiperspirant that keeps me dry most often is secret clinical strength, and men's old spice (for some weird reason) Other antiperspirant for men doesn't work as well. I guess my armpits are picky. Haha!
Our bodies are so strange some times.  lol  I don't know if you are man or woman.  I use clinical strength secret myself!  I like the clear gel and it lasts all day without break through sweat or smells.  :)  I find it interesting that antidepressants increase sweating.  We try to help ourselves and then that kind of thing has to be dealt with. sigh.  But I did find this article regarding sweating and antidepressants in case it ever gets too bad.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3931183/
The only problem with using Secret is it increases sweating.  That's why they sell so much of pharmaceutical antiperspirants, they make it necessary to keep using them.  I had the sweats with Lexapro and Celexa, but not with any others.  This stuff is just weird.  I dealt with it by taking a lot of showers, and unfortunately, as with so many side effects of these meds, the problem still exists to a lesser extent after I stopped taking them because they didn't work.  Life is just nuts sometimes.  But it certainly didn't just make my feet sweat.