Avatar universal

How do I fix depression caused by medication?

Hey guys I have reason to believe I'm having depression from an antipsychotic medication called invega. My pharmasist friend told me that it decreases something called dopamine in your brain I'm wondering if getting on anti depressants could help reverse this or perhaps that just touches base on other issues other than what I have reason to be the cause (the invega). Also is it possible to ever feel happy without these medications or do I need something that potent (the antidepressants) to get back to normal? I have been having some neurological disorder like symptoms that I need to get seen for and I believe the invega medication is causing this. This scares me into thinking that adding more medication might make whatever this disorder is to become that much worse. Any advice guys?
1 Responses
Avatar universal
This question is complicated by the fact that you apparently are psychotic.  If you are, then you need to see your psychiatrist about this and perhaps change medications.  A psychiatrist can also tell you what might be safe to take with this drug.  Antipsychotics generally affect dopamine, and dopamine controls a lot of our motor functions, so it's often a cause of nerve problems or involuntary movements.  If you're not in fact psychotic, you may be on too much drug for what ails you.  What's your diagnosis?
Let me add, most antidepressants as opposed to anti-psychotics have much less affect on dopamine or only affect it if you're on very high doses.  Some of them do affect it, though.  At high doses, above what most people take, even drugs that don't target dopamine can throw off the balance of neurotransmitters and cause an effect on it that way.  If you are suffering from a psychotic illness, the only treatment is medication, so it's a case of getting the dose right for you and the medication right for you.  But I ask because a lot of docs are using anti-psychotics on people who don't suffer from a psychotic illness these days, usually when other things haven't worked but sometimes because they just love to use drugs and don't respect them.  Many on here have been put on them for sleep, for example, because they often have he unwanted side effect of being very sedating.  That's why I ask to make sure you're going through all this because you need to.  
Well it's a misdiagnosis of Schitzophrenia. It's kinda complicated but basically I got sucked up into the system and they labeled me psychotic because they were beating me up in jail and I was fighting back causing them to say i was crazy and blah blah it's a whole big thing. But cutting to the chase no absolutely not psychotic. That's probably why these medications are messing with me so much. You basically answered my question but the thing is I don't think anything really is another option as it is court ordered for INJECTION and there's only 2 options which are Invega and the other one I think is rispidol which she basically said invega converts into that or vise versa so basically they said I'm stuck on this one medication and it's been making me heavily depressed I've been having face twitches and leg jerks towards night time. As well as sensations going through my body everytime something stress related happens or even a muscle twitch could set that off. I believe it's all because of this medication they are giving me I tried my hardest to convince them but they refuse to do anything about it. And I've been living in hell not because of the depression entirely but the neurological affects it's been having. I got myself into a pickle dude.
Are you still in prison?  Do you have a lawyer if you are?  if you don't, there are lawyers who work for free for people like you.  If you're not psychotic, these drugs are not for you -- they're very hard for people who are psychotic to take, which is why they so often have a hard time staying on them.  It sounds like you may not have a mental issue at all, but of course I don't know you or why you're in jail.  You might have an anger issue, but you don't need antipsychotics for that, you need therapy.  You are in a pickle but your health is being threatened because these Parkinson's like symptoms can become hard to stop if you don't get off the med.  If you do, they usually go away pretty easily for most people.  Fight back!
I got out of prison a few months ago. And yeah thanks a million for everything dude I do need to fight back this is getting rediculous my health is being threatened here and they won't budge so i'm going to have to make them budge time for court!
oh and no I don't have a lawyer they just give me the ****** ones appointed by state and they don't help you at all. I just looked up parkinsons warnings signs "Early symptoms can be mild. You may feel tired or uneasy. You may notice your hands or other body parts shaking slightly, or find it hard to stand. Your speech might become softer or slurred, or your handwriting looks different or smaller. You may forget a word or a thought and feel depressed or anxious." I feel tired sometimes uneasy my right hand has been shaking speech isn't slurred yet but handwriting is hard to remain consistent and it looks like scribbles I do forget words and thoughts A  LOT and I feel very depressed and lots of time anxious. THis is a big warning sign no? I feel hella diseased dude and the only thing I can think of is sueing but for what and how do I go about finding a lawyer? My dad doens't seem like he wants to fight with them anymore and he's giving up. Like right now it's hard to even sit and type and also my memory is almost gone like short term memory is almost completely gone. Any advice on which lawyer I need? And what would I sue for malpractice?
No, you don't have Parkinson's, you don't need that worry, what meds give you is called Parkinson's like symptoms and they go away when you taper off the drug -- it's usually not wise to stop cold turkey on these.  You might try calling the local ACLU office and see if they can help with what your rights are in your state and what better help might be available.  There are programs at university law schools connected to something called the Innocence Project and like programs that might not be appropriate for you but might lead you to some very educated advice.  Rights of prisoners and former prisoners is a big thing right now, so if you try hard enough hopefully you can find someone to help.  Another possibility is if you know anyone in your family or friends or anyone at all who knows a lawyer who does know his or her stuff -- if your case seems especially cruel you can often find someone to help pro-bono, especially in a case like yours where it would be very short process.  
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Depression Community

Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Avatar universal
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
The first signs of HIV may feel like the flu, with aches and a fever.
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.