Dark Pigmentation in Armpit Area

I have a large pigmentation area around my armpit area.  It extends 1 to 1 ½ inches beyond the hairline area, the entire pigmentation is probably 6 inches long by 4 inches wide.   It is dark in color (grayish, blackish) it is raised, but not bumpy.   There is no rash, it is not itch and it is not red.  It has increased in size, started out small, maybe 2 by 2 inches and progressively has gotten very large.
I have looked in the internet and found sites talking about darkening in the armpit area, but I think this is mostly in the hairline area only.  They recommend bleach creams.  I have not put anything on it, don’t want to until I know what it is.   Any ideas?
Hello!
The skin in the armpit is normally darker than the rest of the skin. It is common amongst those who use any method of hair removal from their armpits. Hair removal creams generally contain chemicals which damages your skin making it darker. Shaving hair from the armpit also makes the skin tougher and darker. Any allergy, inflammation or infection can lead to such type of rash in the armpit. Another possibility is acanthosis nigricans.It is an autoimmune condition seen commonly in people who are obese and suffering from diabetes mellitus. An external examination is very important for correct diagnosis. Seek the opinion of a dermatologist. That will definitely be helpful. I do hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!