Fleshy Plugs Under Skin In Pores on Face

there is a spot on my nose that i've rubbed raw washing, trying to get these "things" out of my pores.  these are not whiteheads, nor blackheads.  these are clusters of white or fleshy hard and sticky plugs-- not filled with anything, but they stick straight out from the pores. They are not bumps.  If I rub the area w/ a towel they do not rub off at all.  I tried to remove one with tweezers, and it was very tacky (as in sticky)  and clearly goes deep under the skin.  Part of it broke off but I could still see that the pore was plugged and a day or two later top of the plug was sticking out again. i can't find ANYTHING online that looks like it.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
also, should get a biospy to rule about a more serious condition.
Helpful - 0
I have the same thing on my face.. I pick them out  with tweezers.. but recently I found out If I squeeze them with tweezers they push out but another one forms behind it.. So over and over I'm squeezing them with tweezers.. They are the worst.. Does anyone know what they are or how to treat them yet. I've noticed I seem to get them when I get stressed. Then I can't get rid of them so that makes me more stressed
Helpful - 0
I'll give you a diagnosis right now. It's RINGWORM.

I had the same exact thing for 8-9 months before I realized what it was. Cleared  up after just 4 days of over the counter clotrimazole 1% cream.Turns out I also have tinea corporis with the typical rings that were really really faint in color so i didn't recognize it. I'd been really itchy all over my torso since about the time these painful boils started popping up over my face. The funny thing is that the boils didn't really itch. They HURT, and eventually would crust and open up into a sore, and reveal the tips of the plugs and wouldn't heal until i got all/most of the plugs out with tweezers (the plugs looked like little curved rice grains. It was SO so weird, and i knew something was very very different about this "acne" from my usual acne.  (also almos no pus, mostly yellowish clear crusting ooze).

The sad thing is that this appearance of ringworm is not classically taught in med schools (I'm a physician too, not a dermatologist, but still...). I'm really mad I didn't realize it sooner!

All you physicians out there, please learn from this and diagnose your patients correctly! This is not a case to give steroid creams to! (i'm sure i dont have to explain why).It's better to empirically have the patient try OTC antifungal ointment first; if it's ringworm, it will start improving in 1-2 days, and clear up within a week. If not, well then back to the drawing board.

Worse, dont label these patients with Morgellon's, or other types of psychosis without ruling out this possibility. And no it's not just cystic acne.
Helpful - 0
It's because it's ringworm. It just keeps spreading.
Helpful - 0
OMG!!! This is the  story of my life...i will try the suggested options but am in need of answeres fast!! My face has a new scar every week...ive been battling theese " plugs" for the last four years along with tinea versacolor...i am 38 yrs old female...tried all the derms treatments with no success! I will try the antifungal cream....any new info or answers please respond asap!!!!
Helpful - 0
i believe I have cutaneous fungi in my skin. Everyone in my family thinks I am seeing things because these items are everywhere. In my carper, burrowed into food and harder substances. I just don't understand why I see these  items (that sometimes look similar to very small worms jellyfish or geometric shapes such as circles, triangles and lines) and others don't. I wonder if I am hallucinating but, I have taken photos of the sores and red lines, circles etc. that appear on my skin, on various surfaces, carpet, other fabric, etc. I believe the condition has spread to my bladder, due to pain upon urination. Maybe I am nuts???!
I trust one of the physicians I see and will see her in mid-June. I hope I can get an answer to my questions then. In the mean time I am losing weight and have tossed tons of stuff from my apartment, so, that should help with other issues. Thank you for sharing with us.
Helpful - 0
You have threadworm
Shannahhh, were you able to finally get a diagnosis on this? I have been dealing with the same strange symptoms (skin sores, seeing things in my food/fabrics/clothing etc) The very first time I noticed something strange in my food I mentioned it to my boyfriend who just did not see what I was seeing...I keep it to myself now because I know I must sound like I am nuts or hallucinating. I've seen countless doctors about the skin sores and have been given several meds/creams but I just can't seem to get an answer. I don't even tell the doctors about the food/fabric issue anymore because they just used to stare at me like I was crazy...  Hopefully you aren't still dealing with this since you posted back in 2013, any info/advice that you can share would be greatly appreciated. : )

Laura

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community