Dermatology Community
54k Members
Avatar universal

Just got diagnosed with Alopecia Areata

I noticed that there is a small patch on my left chin, where beard is scanty. It is not completely gone but the hair is scanty and the patch is obvious. I went to my dermatologist and he told me it is Alopecia Areata, though it could be in "initial stages" and it is "too hard to say anything". He told me to apply fluticasone cream twice a day, for a month. And if the hair doesn't grow back, he will give me steroid injections. Should I get those injections? What could be the side effects? Can this spread to scalp as well?

As Maatson would know, I tried applying fluticasone on my white spot (IGH) and I had hypopigmentation. Is it really alopecia areata or should I seek a second opinion? If it is alopecia areata, what must I do to help myself? I read somewhere that it is related to vitiligo. Could my IGH spots be vitiligo, as I have alopecia areata too, now?
2 Responses
Avatar universal
Please answer this
Avatar universal
Ideally wait and watch. Most regrow spontaneously, if ever so.Too small as of now to pass any comment on.
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions