Avatar universal

Red discoloration

I am have red discoloration of the area outside my vagina...its not the lips of the vagina, its moreso the area right where the thigh meets the vagina and the area moving closer towards my anus (i think its called the perineum area).  It use to be very itchy with breaks in the skin that caused burning during urination.  However, my women's md gave me a perscription and had me switch soaps, so the itching and skin breaks have gone away.  I was tested for all STDs and they came back negative.  All of my cultures have come back negative, and it is getting to the point where my md doesn't quite know why the skin in this area is red.  It is bright red.  As an AA female, it is very noticeable.  I don't look down there a whole lot, so I'm not sure when the discoloration happened, but I'm relatively certain, it hasn't always been that way.  Does anyone have any suggestions why the perineum region outside my vagina (not the lips) would be red?  Do I likely just have a skin disorder?  Have you heard of any skin disorders that just affect this region the vagina region? Please help!
2 Responses
563773 tn?1374246539
It can be due to intertrigo. An intertrigo is an inflammation (rash) of the body folds.It most commonly occurs due to bacterial,viral or fungal infection. An intertrigo usually appears red and raw-looking, and may also itch, ooze, and be sore.

Please keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical zinc oxide cream like Sudocrem, Desitin are very helpful(apply with a paper towel and not directly with hands).Application of mild steroid cream like dermacort also helps. For the itching take some over the counter antihistaminic like benadryl or Claritin. In case the symptoms persist then antifungals may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

4851940 tn?1515694593
The symptoms you describe, the itchy, soreness etc. I had exactly the same some years ago and was seen by a gynaecologist, who diagnosed my condition as being Lichen Planus.  

I was prescribed with Trimovate which is an antibacterial/antifungal cream and Diprobase which is a moisturising emolient.  I use Dermol 600 in the bath.

I am not able to use any soaps or bubble baths, or shower gels as this aggravates the condition and makes the area itch.  I also use cotton briefs.

I have recently started to drink natural yogurt and take multivitamins, magnesium and zinc and find it helps.  

The antfungal cream also keeps any Thrush at bay.

Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community

Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions